B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

fuel tank pressurized when filling up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel tank pressurized when filling up?

i have searched this and found several posts about others having this problem but none of them had any solutions for it. i went to fill up with gas today and the fuel nozzle kept clicking off every couple of seconds, like it does when the tank is full. i would then take the nozzle out of the fuel tank fill line and air pressure would release from in the tank and fuel would then spit back out of the line. it kept doing this the entire time, as if the fuel tank was full even tho i had less than 1/4 tank. i read on another post where someone suggested maybe the evap charcoal canister was the problem...could this be it? what else can i check? i have vag-com too and i'm gonna do a evap test tomorrow but i was hoping maybe someone thats has this problem could point me in the right direction.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Legal Moderator

well i cant say my system is pressurizing but every when i got the car i couldnt fill up the tank without the pump shutting off just like you. I just figured it is the shape of the filler neck. it must be angled too aggressively or something so when i fill up i only but the pump nozzle in just a few inches and have never had the problem since.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM

there's some kind of charcoal filter that you need to clean out. It gets clogged and doesn't let the system equalize with atm pressure... search AZ for gas tank charcoal or gas charcoal filter.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
4th Gear

The charcoal tank is located under the spare tire wheel well. Connected to that is 2 lines that go to each of the rear tire wells, tucked up on the drivers side is a pump/filter and on the other side there is some parts that are then connected to the tank. If any of these parts are not letting air out of the tank the tank then gets pressurized too much causing the pump to shut off. If you want to see if this is the problem just pull the cover under the car just below the trunk, pull off any of the 3 pipes going to the charcoal tank that is under there. Dont worry none of the fuel will come out, just air moves thru these parts.

Only reason I know about these parts is because I just removed the charcoal tank and the pump/filter so I can install my new Dual bosch 044 pump setup in the spot where the charcoal tank sits.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

yeah i have removed the charcoal canister under the spare tire, the leak detection pump in the drivers side rear wheelwell and all of those lines in the past when i was trying to fix my LDP issue. but which of these items can be the problem? i know my LDP doesnt work (the ground is shorted somehow and i have yet to be able to find a wiring diagram for it to show me where its grounded so i havent fixed it yet) but when i did an evap test about a month ago, it said the system was ok. i will run another evap test after work today and post the results....but even if it fails, its still not going to tell me why it failed so i still wont know whats wrong

Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

ok i just ran an evap test with vag-com and it still says "evap ok" so how else can i test these parts to narrow this down?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Site Moderator

All I do when this happens is pull the nozzle out an inch or so and begin fueling again. Typically only happens to me when I have the nozzle all the way in and there is no place for the fumes to escape to creating positive pressure, so it triggers the nozzle shutoff.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
4th Gear

there's some kind of charcoal filter that you need to clean out. It gets clogged and doesn't let the system equalize with atm pressure...
Thats not right...The system is pressurized to a degree normally. Thats why you hear gas escaping when you remove the cap. The fill nozzles use this feature to active the auto-stop and prevent over filling. If your tank constantly equalized to outside pressure, the auto-stop wouldn't work and you'd always be spilling fuel. In this case it seems the fill nozzle is defected somehow.

Is this a new-to-you station or repaired pump?

In any case, the solution(s) are as above: pull it back out about 1 inch. Just never leave it unattended. OR select a slower fill speed.

Last edited by Midniteoyl; 03-25-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 AM
1st Gear

i tried that. i mean, im not retarded, the first thing i did was pull the fuel nozzle back out some and try with the nozzle barely in the hole and it continued to do it. it didnt matter what position i had the fuel nozzle in, it still did it. and it did it at 2 completely different gas stations, on 2 different pumps that i have used many times in the past. i have never had this problem before, there has to be something in my evap system that is causing there to be too much pressure

Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Thats not right...The system is pressurized to a degree normally. Thats why you hear gas escaping when you remove the cap. The fill nozzles use this feature to active the auto-stop and prevent over filling. If your tank constantly equalized to outside pressure, the auto-stop wouldn't work and you'd always be spilling fuel. In this case it seems the fill nozzle is defected somehow.

Is this a new-to-you station or repaired pump?

In any case, the solution(s) are as above: pull it back out about 1 inch. Just never leave it unattended. OR select a slower fill speed.
But if zero pressure is let out while you put fuel in the pump will keep turning off since the "auto-stop" is very sensitive. Yes the tank is pressurized to a point like you said, but when you are filling the tank with fuel that pressure is rising all the time and that air that is being replaced by fuel must get out of the tank. There are only 2 ways for the air to get out, thru the gas filler and the vent tube. If you plug the gas filler when filling the tank with the fuel that leaves just the vent and if that is plugged the air has no where to go.

Quick Reply: fuel tank pressurized when filling up?