B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

fuel tank pressurized when filling up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

ok so then where is the vent??? is the vent supposed to be the LDP filter?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Default Filling Fuel Tank 98 A4 2.8 AWD

I've got the same g*d***** f****** issue: I carry around a crushed aa battery and other small small bits and pieces in the trunk to put under nozzle levers to fill the tank at the slowest rate possible. I am dead serious when I tell you that I spent the better part of twenty-five minutes last week filling up. Forget various nozzle depths and positions: this is a vent issue. Yesterday, I put in a new aftermarket fuel pump and with the tank cover off and a funnel rapidly poured in a half-gallon of gas. A local Audi aftermarket parts type in Miami said tank vent lines in RR wheel well were "clogged with mud." Nope. I'm going to investigate the cannister angle & will report results. The unit is undriveable with this vent issue.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Default Cant Fill Gas Tank 98 A4 Q AHA

I spent a day removing the canister, both rear fender liners, LDP, fill pipe vent lines and smoke checked all the lines. I took out the fuel pump cover a bit and smoked the line from the fill pipe to the tank. The smoke seemed to rise noticeably slower around the pump cover in this test than others, although that could be due to dispersal action over the larger surface area inside the tank in comparison to the large amount for example which passed from the larger canister hose to the inlet of the canister purge valve in the engine compartment. I can blow on each of the 3 canister inlets so the can isn't plugged completely. In another post, a member suggested that what he called a 'check ball stuck in the full fuel position' could be the cause of this issue which would be consistent with the smaller amount of smoke in my fill pipe test. I e mailed the poster ("Len42?") for more info. The car is undriveable. Anyone find a solution?

Last edited by angus murray; 05-30-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Intermittently can't fill gas tank 2003 Audi A4 Quattro

Just wanted to chime in here that this has happened to me on at least 4 occasions now over the last year or two at 3 different gas stations.

Same symptoms, try to pump gas, nozzle clicks off, pull it out and gas as well as gasoline starts to spit out of the tank. The first time, I tried the slow-fill option (as I would've been stranded otherwise), but not knowing what was happening, and watching the pump, gasoline ended up slowly trickling out of the tank onto my jacket and pants... not good. Now I know. (Drove home with the jacket in the trunk and the windows down during Winter, good times)

One of the 4 times, I got back into my car, drove around the pumps and tried again, and it worked fine (not the same pump, but still). Weird.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel tank pressurized when filling up

Hay I to have this problem I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8 Quattro don't seem to know what's wrong go to fill up and it stops if I keep triggering it will start to por out and if I take out the hoes I can here air in it slowly coming out I have to wait 10 sec ever time i fill it and ever time it only puts 75 cents in can someone please tell me what's wrong and what to buy to fix it

Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever fix the problem I have the same car as you

Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

If you can only put 75 cents in at a time I would look for a plugged filler tube, takes about a quart of gas to fill that from the tank to the filler neck. Someone stuff a rag down your filler or something, or maybe the rubber connection to the tank is all twisted up? Is the unleaded nozzle door still intact? If so it would be tough to stuff something into the neck.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 2 possible solutions

Originally Posted by pete7
i have searched this and found several posts about others having this problem but none of them had any solutions for it. i went to fill up with gas today and the fuel nozzle kept clicking off every couple of seconds, like it does when the tank is full. i would then take the nozzle out of the fuel tank fill line and air pressure would release from in the tank and fuel would then spit back out of the line. it kept doing this the entire time, as if the fuel tank was full even tho i had less than 1/4 tank. i read on another post where someone suggested maybe the evap charcoal canister was the problem...could this be it? what else can i check? i have vag-com too and i'm gonna do a evap test tomorrow but i was hoping maybe someone thats has this problem could point me in the right direction.
Yes it could be the charcoal canister but there is also a purge valve up under the driver's side fender that releases the pressure to the tank, which sounds more like the issue but I had to replace both and fixed my issue. I have an 04 A8L