B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Gauge Cluster Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Gauge Cluster Rebuild

Due to a stupid incident today, my car is undriveable for a few days. So I figured I could have the gauge cluster fixed up in the meantime. The information center is in poor shape and mostly unreadable.

I've used BBE Reman for another gauge cluster before, and was disappointed with the result. They didn't fix half the stuff that was broken in the cluster. I placed that order through eBay.

Anyone have a better experience with a different company? I see at least 3-4 listed on eBay, and they all seem to offer the same service. I really only need the info center replaced, but I can't find anyone who does just that anymore.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

I plan to get mine done here

http://www.pixelfix.info/

Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Legal Moderator

talk to kompressed on audizine. he does all sorts of ****, usually on the cheap too

Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

I bought an LCD off of eBay. It's very small, detailed soldering...over my abilities. So I found a kid on Craig's list who repairs circuit boards for a living. It was a no brainer for him. That was 70,000 miles ago, and no missing pixels.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

I had a look at the different options. I didn't realize there were "OEM" and "knock-off" LCDs for these clusters. I decided to choose someone who uses OEM panels so the product lasts longer and matches the rest of the lighting better. It's more expensive, but it seems worthwhile. When I had our A6 cluster repaired, the company I chose used a knock-off panel. I wondered why it didn't match very well, and now I know. It'll probably wear out within a year or so. The OEM panels supposedly last 5+ years.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Its ironic how ppl want the OEM cuz they are suppose to last longer, when you are in need of a new cluster cuz the OEM one crapped out in almost every B5. lol just pulling your leg and i know what you mean.

The aftermarket ones arent too bad, just a brighter back light but if you could find an OEM one go for it if you can shell out the extra cash. I think they are more difficult to find now though. Its too bad the website i just gave isnt working, i hope they are still operational

Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
Its ironic how ppl want the OEM cuz they are suppose to last longer, when you are in need of a new cluster cuz the OEM one crapped out in almost every B5. lol just pulling your leg and i know what you mean.

The aftermarket ones arent too bad, just a brighter back light but if you could find an OEM one go for it if you can shell out the extra cash. I think they are more difficult to find now though. Its too bad the website i just gave isnt working, i hope they are still operational
I totally agree about the stigma of OEM LCDs. They are the ones that failed prematurely in the first place so why the hell would you want to replace it with an OEM quality one to fail just as soon? I have no clue why people think this way. I used an eBay LCD for my replacement, put tint on the back of it and it turned out nicely. For 38 bucks you can't really go wrong. Here is a pic.

Doug

Old 08-25-2012, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
I used an eBay LCD for my replacement, put tint on the back of it and it turned out nicely.
I thought I was the only one **** enough to do that. I tried 50% tint film first. A little too dark. Then I bought 35% tint. Perfect. It's been about 70K miles now.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I thought I was the only one **** enough to do that. I tried 50% tint film first. A little too dark. Then I bought 35% tint. Perfect. It's been about 70K miles now.
Well if you already know that the eBay LCD's are going to be too bright, then why not put some tint on it before you install it? You'll just get flat head syndrome if you expect it to be darker once you install it. It is so much harder to install the tint once the LCD is soldered on to the board when you try to avoid bubbles and trust me you will see bubbles if the sun shines at a particular angle even when the tint is applies on the back.

Doug

Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 AM
2nd Gear

Well if you already know that the eBay LCD's are going to be too bright, then why not put some tint on it before you install it?
I didn't know till I put it in and drove it for a day.

It is so much harder to install the tint once the LCD is soldered on to the board when you try to avoid bubbles and trust me you will see bubbles if the sun shines at a particular angle even when the tint is applies on the back.
You don't apply it to the back. You cut a perfect square of tint and just lay it down between the lcd and the backlight. After all, it's the backlight you want to dim. Easy to do after the lcd is soldered, and no bubbles.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Rebuild