B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: what should i do when my loan comes in?
keeo the 96 and dump money into her
9.09%
get a 30v 2.8 quattro
9.09%
get a b5 s4
63.64%
get a b6
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

get a new car or keep the current?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
4th Gear
Default get a new car or keep the current?

ok so here is my dilemma.. originally i only wanted to buy the car to have for a month or so because im getting a loan out and i was planning on selling this and combining the loan money to buy either a really nice b5 2.8 quattro 5 speed... an 00 or 01 s4... or a nice b6... now i know the s4 is quicker and more options for it and prolly a very smooth riding car as well... but what about the 30v 2.8... is there that big of a difference in motor or jsut everyday life between that and my 12v '96? and the other question is what about the b6? are they really worth getting over the b5? i want somthing fun and nice looking but also reliable and safe for my lil girl (jsut turned 6 months)

thanks for your input guys

Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

theres no option to 'keep your car and NOT dump money into her'. if you need a loan to afford a 10+ year old car, you should be spending (saving) your money in other places, especially now that you have children.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 AM
4th Gear

im not getting the loan just to afford my current car... i meant like making her nicer and more reliable... or should i just get a new one.. i didnt mean i have to get a loan to keep up with the car lol

and ot the people that vote... can u tell me why u voted the way u did? like i see 2 people both voted s4... why? jsut cuz its bad *** and u want one or are they more reliable?

Last edited by Mr. Phil; 09-04-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Administrator

A B5 S4 will cost you some amount of money just to maintain and keep it running.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 AM
4th Gear

ok... so s4 is out... so what about 30v 2.8 or the b6? b6 will prolly cost more ot maintain... unless it was already taken care of by previous owner then just normal maintenance costs here and there right?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Administrator

I don't think there are any huge difference between 12V and 30V except for couple of horses and some more aftermarket upgrades.

In general, I would say maintaining an N/A car is easier than a turbocharged car. Arguably, there would be many more things that go wrong with the forced induction compared to a 12V/20V.

The B6 will be the same way. Which engine are you planning to go with?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 AM
3rd Gear

If you want to mod the **** out of your car then get a b6. I too have a baby girl (7 months) and I appreciate the fact that I cannot mod the **** out of my car (2.8 12v). My car looks clean and drives nice. I have no complaints and I know I am driving a safe car. You should take umbrage that you have little to worry about with your car as well.

As a father you know where your responsibilities should lie. Your daughter not your car (sorry I am a car guy at heart, but it's true). If money is no object then definitely go b6 or S4.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:41 AM
2nd Gear

The B5 30v and the B5 12v are marginal. The 30v breathes better, might get a little better gas mileage and runs smoother, but a 2.8 is a 2.8, they're designed to be reliable, long lasting motors. The only difference you'd see in getting a 30v IMO is a couple years newer with a few thousand less miles and thats about it.

As for the B6, the 3.0 is just as reliable as the 2.8, just .2 liters bigger. Again, V6 is V6, they're designed to be near bullet proof. My only advice on the B6 is if you get one, go with an 04. All the reports I've seen have shown the 02 and 03 to have more maintenance issues than the 04. The reason being is pretty simple, new platforms are like new computer operating systems. When a new OS is released, IE vista, its still technically in beta form, just on a larger scale than in regular beta testing, so it still has a lot of flaws that need to be worked out over time. Think of the 02 B6 as the original windows XP with service pack 1, the 03 B6 as XP with service pack 2, and the 04 B6 as XP with service pack 3. XP is pretty perfect now, its a really solid OS, likewise, the 04 B6 is the most solid B6 you'll get.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 AM
4th Gear

well i was planning on going with the 3.0 if i went b6... im not keen on turbo anything honestly... jsut s4 has been a fantasy of mine for a while so i kinda just threw that out there...

but as far as "modding the **** out of my car" umm not really... maybe lower it and put some nice rims on there.. but other than that i kinda grew out of my whole fast and furious stage.. like back when the movie originally came out haha

im more into luxury and cruising than anything, my last 2 cars were infinti q45, they ran nice.. jsut **** happened and well they go bye bye lol... but yea airbags are a plus too.. b6 im guessing has side curtain and rear passenger as the b5 prolly will not.. ill look it up in a few but its mainly the safety factor.. there are a lot of dumb **** drivers here in so cal.. and im not looking out for jsut me anymore.. know what i mean

Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Administrator

My B5 came with 12 airbags (or more, don't remember).

Where you at in SoCal? Come out to a GTG with the locals sometime!

Quick Reply: get a new car or keep the current?