B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A good summer tire...nexen or kumho?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Legal Moderator
Default A good summer tire...nexen or kumho?

well its about that time to be gettin tires for my other set of rims. they are 17" b5 rs4 rims and they came with my car when i bought it, unfortunately without tires. My spare tire is actually the same kind of rim and it has a 225/45/17 kumho on it. I found some same sized kumho spt's for $90 a piece but the nexen 3000 are a little cheaper at roughly $70 a piece. Im looking for anybody's opinion on either set of tire or if you have something else in mind let me have it. Looking to keep the price below $400 w/ shipping.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Site Moderator

General Exclaim UHP are good tires, and well priced. I am running them on my 18's.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 PM

I have Nexen 3000s. I have 0 complaints what so ever about them.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Tech Slut

kumhos for the win... asx exsta's... good mix of price and functionality

Old 03-22-2009, 12:27 AM
3rd Gear

Kumhos are the best bang for your buck and aren't noisy like Falkens, however, they do have factories in China, which you want to avoid.

Bridgestone Potenza is pretty much the best you can buy, but Yokohama sells a few lines priced between the Kumhos and the Bridgestones which perform very well.

http://www.tirerack.com for research and comparisons.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Bridgestone Potenza is pretty much the best you can buy, but Yokohama sells a few lines priced between the Kumhos and the Bridgestones which perform very well.
Not a fan of yokos personally... and ive had potenzas before, but still prefer ps2's to them... but he said hes lookin to spend less than $400 so neither of those two are even an option.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Administrator

I'm running Falken FK452 for my 18's. Great stretching tires and decently priced!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:57 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Not a fan of yokos personally... and ive had potenzas before, but still prefer ps2's to them... but he said hes lookin to spend less than $400 so neither of those two are even an option.
Less than $400 is tough for a good 17" tire.

PS2's are good tires, but the sidewalls are soft. It makes for a more comfortable street ride, but they don't survive pot-holes well. As for the track, you can't really beat Potenza. And you're right, both models are expensive.

I've used Yokos on the street and the track. I had AVID H4s on my Jag X, which were probably the best all-around tire for an AWD car I've ever used including snow and rain (for an all-season), but they were average on track. You can step up to the AVS or EVS for track use, but they get expensive and are useless in the snow.

If he's not tracking the car, I'd say Kumho all-season ASX or something along that line. I avoid Falkens. They are noisy and stiff compared to the similar Kumhos.

Last edited by Tweaked; 03-22-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Slut

Less than $400 is tough for a good 17" tire..
yea, but he may be able to find a deal... i think i paid like ~130 per tire for my kumhos
PS2's are good tires, but the sidewalls are soft. It makes for a more comfortable street ride, but they don't survive pot-holes well. As for the track, you can't really beat Potenza. And you're right, both models are expensive..
agreed on the soft sidewalls... they bubble up pretty easy. For the track, I like PS Cups if money isnt an option.

If he's not tracking the car, I'd say Kumho all-season ASX or something along that line. I avoid Falkens. They are noisy and stiff compared to the similar Kumhos.
thats why i said asx exsta's... falkens are nice on the track as well, but my car makes enough noise already without having noisy tires lol

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 PM

i used to have kumho ecsta asx on my 18s a while ago. tthose things lasted forever!!!. if you want a tire thats gonna last really long id go with those. i have potenza re760 sports now and theyre so much grippier and more solid but i know they wont last as long with the 340 treadwear rating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A good summer tire...nexen or kumho?