B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Groaning/creaking while turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Groaning/creaking while turning steering wheel

I am getting quite a bad groan/creak when I turn the steering wheel, I think it's both ways but worse when I turn it right, and I notice it mostly at low low speeds, like when I am backing out of parking spots is especially bad

Also seems to be "clunking" a bit when I go over bumps, mostly on drivers side front end, it feels like something in the front end drivers side is loose every time I go over slight bumps in the road

I did a little research and I seemed to have found that bad tie rod ends create the groaning when turning, but the clunking I feel in my steering wheel I do not know

Should I order a complete control arm kit or what, I am frustrated because this just started to clunk and creak last week

Thanks for the help guys

Old 09-29-2012, 06:03 PM

possible bad cv joint, they tend to clunk/click.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, i was thinking that too but would that cause the creaking sound when turning the steering wheel?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear

Try pushing down on the fenders directly over the wheel. If you can hear the same creaking sound, then it is probably your control arms, not just the tie rod ends. You'll get the same sound when turning the wheel at low speeds while going over bumps/backing out of a driveway.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

I pushed down on the fenders and definitely got a creaking sound but I can almost swear it was coming from the rear drivers side, I could be wrong I had my gf push down while I listened quickly..

Could it be a rear control arm?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem as well lately...its like..when you start taking a turn..there is that cracking sound....

Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

Yeah I usually hear it the most when pulling in and out of my parking spot where I live, sort of underground parking so everything echoes and its real easy to hear, almost sounds like a creaking door opening or closing

Money pit.. just quit one of my jobs so I have time to work on my cars, working seven days a week wasn't allowing any time for maintenance

Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default CV & Wheel Bearing

I too had this issue and it turned out to be bearings in my case.

The CV is pretty easy to check, Just full lock the steering and drive in reverse (Circles).
It will clunk if bad, Full left lock and clunk = Right and vice versa.
It is velocity related so it ususally clunks in time based on wheel rotation.

Personally i believe you may have a bad wheel bearing.
Wheel bearings when cracked make a nasty cracking, grinding sound (metal to metal)
Bearing don't clunk in time sequence. They are quite sporatic. Inconsistant grinding.

Tie Rods shouldn't cause a grinding/cracking sound more a throbbing knock.
But dont quote me on that as i am too still battling through drivetrain issues.

Cheers

Last edited by Juszzy; 10-02-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Spelling :)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 AM
1st Gear

I had a bad wheel bearing on my other car a couple of months ago and it was just a terrible scraping sound every time the wheel rotated, got faster with velocity, I don't hear this at all when going over 35mph, it does clunk though when I hit bumps, wheel bearing wouldn't make sound when sitting still I don't think? Because it makes the creaking sound when I turn the wheel left, even when sitting still, it's actually when I hear it the most

Thank you for your input though, I will check for everything when I find time

Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4
I had a bad wheel bearing on my other car a couple of months ago and it was just a terrible scraping sound every time the wheel rotated, got faster with velocity, I don't hear this at all when going over 35mph, it does clunk though when I hit bumps, wheel bearing wouldn't make sound when sitting still I don't think? Because it makes the creaking sound when I turn the wheel left, even when sitting still, it's actually when I hear it the most

Thank you for your input though, I will check for everything when I find time
Sorry neglected to read that you were still stationary, sorry.

Are you lowered? If so, it may well be the cv... I have constant trouble with CVs when I'm low. My shaft snapped in 2 and lowering was the cause (apparently)
Replaced the right outer twice.

If I think of anything I'll come back.

Otherwise good luck.

Quick Reply: Groaning/creaking while turning steering wheel