B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Has anyone tried one of these OBD-II code readers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Has anyone tried one of these OBD-II code readers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-I...motiveQ5fTools

My 2001 1.8t keeps throwing a catalytic convertor code (0420), but where I live there is no sniff test, so I just want an OBD-II in the car to re-set the CEL.

Has anyone tried ine of these generic readers? Has anyone got a better, inexpensive suggestion?

Thanks . . .

Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Never tried a generic one, but I have the one from ECS and it works great. Looks exactly the same as what's pictured in that auction you linked.

That said, I think instead of clearing the CEL for the cat every 15 miles you should just fix it. Since you don't have to deal with sniffers to get inspected (jealous!) you have a couple of choices. You could leave the bad cat in there, gutted or otherwise, and throw some spark plug anti-foulers on the O2 sensor to keep the CEL from coming back. If you also have no visual inspection for emissions (really jelous!) You could throw a test pipe with a j-bung in there and enjoy your new found horsepower and quicker turbo spool!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Default The CEL goes on religiously every-other Sunday morning . . .

. . . so it's nothing that drastic, but it is irritating.

I am not familiar with spark plug anti-foulers, which sound intriguing. The catalytic converter / front O2 sensor are readily accessible, so that might be a good option.

Where does one shop for spark plug anti-foulers?

Thanks . . .

BTW, no inspection, sniffing or visual.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Actual WIZARD

Autozone obd II scanners work for clearing codes, and you can get non foulers there too

Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by eelpie
. . . so it's nothing that drastic, but it is irritating.

I am not familiar with spark plug anti-foulers, which sound intriguing. The catalytic converter / front O2 sensor are readily accessible, so that might be a good option.

Where does one shop for spark plug anti-foulers?

Thanks . . .

BTW, no inspection, sniffing or visual.
Bastard! I'm jealous. Spark plug antifoulers are basically just washers. Their intended purpose is to move the spark plug electrode back out of the combustion chamber slightly, while still allowing you to torque them to the right spec. using a pair of these on your secondary O2 sensor will move it slightly out of the flow of exhaust gas, which will trick it into thinking your cat is working as intended. Pretty cheap fix, especially if you want to keep the stock cat in there. The same practice is sometimes necessary when installing a test pipe that isn't equipped with a J-bung, which serves the same purpose.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Do I need to call Fritz to fit them . . .

. . . or is it something I can do myself?

I know where the front O2 sensor is, under the hood, but I'm unsure of the location of the aft sensor.

And that's Mr. Bastard, if you please . . .

Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm you can get an ultra gauge, they can read/clear codes and provide you with some other information like speed, rpm, temp, mpgs and crap like that

Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Guru

I just went to Advanced and bought their $50 code reader. Works just fine as long as you don't mind looking up codes online.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by eelpie
. . . or is it something I can do myself?

I know where the front O2 sensor is, under the hood, but I'm unsure of the location of the aft sensor.

And that's Mr. Bastard, if you please . . .
lol pardon me, MISTER bastard. Definitely a DIY job. I don't even know if a garage is legally allowed to do something like that for you, since you're basically circumventing emissions equipment. Lemme see if i can find a DIY link

EDIT: take a look here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-High-Flow-Cat

Last edited by CCA4; 06-20-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Still won't pass an emissions test, if they tie the inspection equipment to the OBD (or VAG) ort in the car. You can't just reset the CEL and go to the test station. If you reset the CEL just before going to the inspection station all of the test flag indicators will indicate that the tests have not run, or not been completed and you will fail. If its purely a visual check then you won't have a problem.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried one of these OBD-II code readers?