B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Headlight/Foglight bulb upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default Headlight/Foglight bulb upgrades

Okay so I have stock Xenon headlights and stock fogs. The light output is poor and I have trouble seeing at night and would like to upgrade my bulbs. What is everyone else running, and what are some ideas?

SIMPLE: I was originally thinking about just upgrading my high beams and fogs with PIAA H7 Intense White or Xtreme White. If I do this and stick with halogen bulbs, my other options are Hoen bulbs, Silverstar (euro-spec), etc. I currently have yellow lamin-x on my fogs and I love the look, but I would still like a yellower tint for the fogs. For some reason it doesn't seem like PIAA offers the Ion Crystal Yellow in H7. Lastly my Xenon bulbs would stay the same because the bulbs are so expensive.

FOGS: My other option is to convert my fogs to HID. I feel foolish still asking about this after if was already explained to me, https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...ht=yellow+fogs but I don't understand where you mount the ballast and how you wire everything into the car. I found this kit http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=101&parent=85 Is this what I need and if so why is it so inexpensive and what wattage and bulbs should I get? Are these just plug and play?

HIGH BEAMS: Just so everyone is clear, even though I have stock Xenons, the high beams are still halogens. I don't know if this is how all cars are, but would I used the same kind of kit to upgrade these to HID? The same questions go along with this: wattage, bulbs, installation, etc.

LOW BEAMS: The low beams are Xenons, but the output is poor to say the least. What are my options upgrading these? I've noticed most replacement bulb are quite pricey.

NOTE: I don't like really blue tinted lights, to me they make visibility worse.

Help me light up the night! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jmgrande; 04-09-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:06 PM
3rd Gear

HID high beams is pointless. Forget that idea. Just upgrade the high beam bulb, or if you upgrade your HID bulbs you won't even need to replace the high beams. Good working HIDs make it so you don't really need your highs...

I'm not too sure about the fogs mounting points and all that, but that's my 2 cents!