B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help! 2.8l A4 1998.5 will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! 2.8l A4 1998.5 will not start.

So I'm going to need to give a bit of background. Starting in July I started o replace the timing belt and then work picked up to about 60 hours a week and it was on hold for about 2 1/2 months then I completed it. it sat for awhile with the carrier off but the old timing belt was still on. We replaced it along with the thermostat and water pump and some pulleys. Put everything back together and won't start. It cranks, has spark, and the spark plugs are getting wet. It did briefly start for a few seconds but then died. ( This was like the 3rd or 4th time trying to crank it). We tore it back down to the timing belt and checked. It didn't skip any teeth at all. Had an old friend who has worked on many many Audis and VWs come look at the timing belt real fast and he said it looked good. I've tried with a second battery and nothing changed. It sounds like the starter is slower than normal but still should be enough to start. Also occasionally the fuel seems to flood it a bit and we've tried pulling the fuel pump fuse and blowing it out and trying again. Just checked for compression and all cylinders were around 100 psi. Initially when I scanned it I had two codes come up related to the throttle body but after clearing them they haven't come back again. Can anyone think of what to check? Currently the front carrier is off again but it wouldn't start with it on either. Also, last time I tried to start it the gauges and odometer were freaking out and parts were disappearing and stuff but that could be related to the other battery as it's out of our boat. Oh and yes it is getting spark. Spark plugs all look great. Only code I've been getting is for a low battery ( Something to do with Terminal B?) . CEL is on but when scanned only comes up with the low battery. Sorry for this long and confusing explanation but I'm trying to show that I've covered a lot of the bases as to what could have gone wrong. Can anyone think of anything?