B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help with boost problem....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Help with boost problem....

hi everyone,i am having a problem with my boost, i cant remember when it started but was about 5-7 months ago, my boost builds up to about 10psi, nice and quick but it holds as it should but then it will drop and splutter for about 20 secs before i can accel again, mainly in 3rd and 4th gear sometimes all gears. i have an Audi A4 1996 1.8t, its Remaped (chipped) its got bran new turbo K03 Bran new DV running maunal boost..... I have recently noticed that i think my boost gauge is connected in wrong place but dont know what is meant to be in its place as i didnt fit it, i will attatch a pic if anyone can help....

Thanks
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Help with boost problem....-imag1287.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM

Your boost gauge is hooked up to the blue line? That's where mine is hooked up.

You could have a boost leak causing this issue, or misfires, etc. How old are your spark plugs, which plugs are they, and what's the gap on them?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

hi thanks for the reply, i have changed to bran new plugs about 2 weeks ago, helped for a bit but back to the same again, i fitted 0.28/0.70mm gap and they are NGK ones, i heard they are pretty good, i wasnt sure about the boost gauge as i has seen ppl fited it in a diff place but it does work so hey ho, erm... i have tried looking for a boost leak but cant seem to find anything, do you have a good ways of doing this at home?

thanks for the reply

mike

Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Administrator

I thought there was supposed to be a connection to the suction jet pump where that blue line is? I have mine T'd into the short vac line between the FPR and the IM, just below the check valve where you have yours connected. Have you done a check for boost/vac leaks yet?

I'm gonna beat MetalMan to a thread one of these days....

Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

could u add a picture of yours please so i know what im looking at, nah not tried a boot leak test yet, honestly dont know how, i only know basic things, thanks for the help.

mike

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Administrator

You can make a boost leak tester without too much trouble. A quick Google search will turn up plenty of DIY threads. Where are you located? I have a boost leak tester I let you borrow if you promise not to steal it.

I don't have any pictures of my boost gauge plumbing since I moved it, but I can take some when I get outta work

Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

im located in aylesbury, buckinghamshire, thats really kind of you, and i wouldnt do that, really apprechiate ur help.

mike

Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

p.s england lol

Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Administrator

It would cost me way more to mail it to England than it would cost you to make one LOL. Here's the DIY I used, really easy to follow:

:: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Pictures Library

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by CCA4
I thought there was supposed to be a connection to the suction jet pump where that blue line is? I have mine T'd into the short vac line between the FPR and the IM, just below the check valve where you have yours connected. Have you done a check for boost/vac leaks yet?

I'm gonna beat MetalMan to a thread one of these days....
His car doesn't have a suction pump the piece where his line is connected is actually the brake booster check valve... normally there's a cap on that port but on my car for example, that cap was broken. So I installed my boost gauge line on that check valve.

Quick Reply: Help with boost problem....