B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help me with this odd sound please

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Help me with this odd sound please

Hey guys,

Very recently my car started making this odd noise as if there was a hole in the exhaust system or something. I'm not sure if that's possible but that is what it sounds like. Below is a link to vid of the odd sound. The sound seems to be coming from right underneath the driver side door. You guys know the layout and details of these cars more than I do so I thought I'd ask to see if any of you have ever heard such a thing. What do you think I have to do to fix it or do I have to replace something? How much do you think it will cost? etc...

Thanks so much for your help.

The car is a 2001 A4 2.8L with approx 127k under her belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THJ_L2c2d4w

Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear

Sounds like a hole. That's pretty much what mine sounded like when it happened to me...

Old 11-02-2010, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

I've got a very very similar noise that only rears it's head in the rain. It will rumble a bit (sounds like a stick dragged across a fence fast) and then stop. Comes and goes seemingly randomly. Any thoughts? Its enough to put some vibration into the passenger seat. I recently had the exhaust redone to 2.5" turbo back and I think thats about when I heard the noise. I've looked and looked and cant find the issue. Should I look for a hole and then a refund? (I'm sick of the company already, went through a lot of **** already with them over my exhaust setup)

Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response guys. What part of the exhaust do you guys think this is? Can I just replace this one part/pipe or do I have to go and replace the whole system? (I'm not too savvy with exhaust systems...and frankly with anything else going on mechanically)

I too think it's a hole by the way, just judging from the sound. Nick what did you do when you found out you had a hole?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response guys. What part of the exhaust do you guys think this is? Can I just replace this one part/pipe or do I have to go and replace the whole system? (I'm not too savvy with exhaust systems...and frankly with anything else going on mechanically)

I too think it's a hole by the way, just judging from the sound. Nick what did you do when you found out you had a hole?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 PM
3rd Gear

I took it to the dealership I bought my car from and they found the hole and replaced the rusted piece, no biggie.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Actual WIZARD

Its probably the flex pipe(s), doesn't sound terrible though

Whatever it is its before your resanator, hence the popping after the revs. It sounds like my 1.8t thats straight piped but just quieter

Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

similar to what i posted here.https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=159177
listen to my video too, sounds very similar

And to top it off, just today. I had to go over a speed bump, exhaust caught it and this happened. So its extremely loud and pretty much undrivable

Attached Thumbnails Help me with this odd sound please-img00200-20101102-1942.jpg  
Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

someone tried to get under my car one time to cut the cat out, but the stupidly cut the flex pipe. made the same noise.

Little did that idiot know how hard it is to get a cat out of the bottom of a 1.8t

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Actual WIZARD

Silly N00b, bently manual states cat comes out from the top

No exhaust ftw

Quick Reply: Help me with this odd sound please