B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

help!! need advice b5 accident..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
1st Gear
Default help!! need advice b5 accident..

So it happend. I had a minor collision yesterday with another car camry if it matters.. here's the thing I was on an up hill and my car is manual.. I take my foot off the break for a bit a bump I hit him in the front bumper.. I tell em to pull over ask if he's alright check the cars .. I got nothing he's got a baby scrach is his car.. and made the report exchange info n all that.. I try n tell em it isn't a big deal.if we can go on our way.. Dick still won't budge.. so my question is.. what can I do to help me.prevent the worst out come..

any advice or has this happend to any of u stick driver.. help please just got the car full coverage mercury insurance n I'm 24.. with an alright driving record except for a similar accident like 3yrs ago. Thanks is advance I need tips quick don't want my insurance over the top..

Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Administrator

shouldn't be a huge deal. Make the argument that he was way too close to you. Everyone knows that manual cars do this. In the future, a little hand brake will prevent you from rolling back until you engage the clutch enough to move forward.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

Personally, I would see if there is an traffic lawyer in your town who will give you a quick free consultation. Many lawyers will talk to you for 15-20 min to get a sense for your situation and give you a basic legal summary of your situation (on the hope that you will select them to represent your case). If the attorney tells you that you have a good shot to defend any liability, you may find it is cheaper to pay a lawyer a few hundred bucks instead of paying your insurance deductible, having an at-fault accident on your record and potentially increased premiums for years.

Depending on your states laws, you may not necessarily be at fault. Some places may consider it your fault because you were in control of the vehicle. Some places may consider it the fault of the person behind you because they did not give your vehicle sufficient space and were following too closely.

But only a lawyer familiar with the vehicle & traffic laws and court precedents in your jurisdiction can give you a good answer. Even anecdotal stories and experiences from members here won't help you because of how laws and precedents will vary from place to place. So if it were me, I'd start by getting a free consult from a practicing lawyer or two.

Last edited by BostonMarine; 06-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 AM

So just to clarify: you were driving up a hill, came to a stop, and when you started moving again you rolled backwards first (and hit the other guy) because your clutch didn't engage yet. Is that right?

I've never done this, and my A4 was my first manual car (got it Jan. 2010). There are 2 different things I might do when started from a stopped position while heading up a hill:
-use the e-brake to keep yourself from rolling backwards, and as your clutch engages take the e-brake off
-while still on the brakes, let the clutch out just enough so it engages, but the car doesn't stall. Quickly get on the gas when it's time to start moving.

In theory you could also heel-toe (right foot on brake and gas), but for me at least the A4 pedals don't really allow this (size 12 shoe).

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Yeah that's what happend.. I rolled back and bump.. I like the fact that I could argue he was too close.. I live in California.. and **** man I would really hate shopping for lawyers.. by the way i still haven't report the accident to my insurance.. and he was acting stupid cause his car is a lease a ******* camry on a lease get ******* real.. is the lawyer the best way to go.. or roll the dice n claim to my insurance n argue the fact n blame him for the whole thing.. I even got pics of the "collision" which shows nothing.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by soul23
Yeah that's what happend.. I rolled back and bump.. I like the fact that I could argue he was too close.. I live in California.. and **** man I would really hate shopping for lawyers.. by the way i still haven't report the accident to my insurance.. and he was acting stupid cause his car is a lease a ******* camry on a lease get ******* real.. is the lawyer the best way to go.. or roll the dice n claim to my insurance n argue the fact n blame him for the whole thing.. I even got pics of the "collision" which shows nothing.
Again, this my opinion, but call a lawyer or two first for several reasons.

A) It won't cost you anything to get a quick free consult, and;
B) Once you tell your insurance company, you can't "untell" them later. Better to be prepared with facts and legal advice when you talk to them rather than just calling them up and giving them all sorts of information they could use to raise your rates (even if you don't end up filing a claim), and;
C) If the other driver files a claim with your insurance company against you, you'll want to be prepared with legal advice to fight it.

It can't be that hard to find one or two lawyers in your jurisdiction. Type into Google "Traffic lawyer [town]" and call a couple of the top ones that show up. You're not defending against vehicular manslaughter or a DUI here, so you don't need the absolute best attorney in town. Any lawyer with traffic law focus will be able to help you out. An hour well spent as a hedge against headaches and money down the road. But your mileage may vary.

Last edited by BostonMarine; 06-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Thanks man I will try n do that.. like i said I live in ca so ppl over here can be pretti dam shady.. but i see Ur point .. n yeah I'm always concerned about watching ny mouth when it comes down to situations like this..

Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

But what do u mean my mileage may vary?? N if the lawyer feels that we could win the case that's were he comes in.. n fights for me so I gota pay em if i only win right?? Sory man this lawyer **** is a touchy thing.. I had a bad expericne with lawyers one time..

Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

So I just talked to a lawyer n said there wasn't anything she can do since there was no injuries.. I breifly explained what happend n all she said was since there was no injuries n Ur car is manual.. she can't do anyhing n in at fault.. is this true wtf?? She wouldn't even give me legit advice

Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

N also if I haven't report it to my insurance or don't at all.. will it look bad on my part??

Quick Reply: help!! need advice b5 accident..