B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HI! new forumer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default HI! new forumer!

Heya people. I've just picked up a B5, and quite a nice one, but its a 12v FWD. Not much fun on the performance side. The price was right though (Free) and well maintained. I had to stick a clutch in it, and some shocks which i havent done yet.

I'm a mechanic by trade, so im not worried about working on this thing, but i am eager to avoid getting problem parts and what not. For instance i would like to drop the car about 1.5 - 2 inches, Some stiffer springs and better struts. The pickings are slim for the 12v FWD though, so suggestions would be welcome, suggestions on where to buy as well.

Any suggestions on getting a few more horses would be welcome, I see the normal route with these is to go Supercharger. That may end up the way to go, but i have not been able to find headers or a full exhaust. I know of a guy who can do the exhaust headers back, but would go for a kit just so i can do it myself.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

Hello and wellcome to the b5 family and allso if u did not know pain when it comes to cars from now one u will,
So for your susspension i think a vmaxx coil overs are the beste value for the price just google vmaxx an u will find them they are around
600$ and for any other questions don't hessitate to SEARCH the forum before you post a new tread, and allso it would not hurt to invest in a vag-com cable that will save you a lot of time and headaches .
So WELLCOME TO YOUR.WORST NIGHTMARE . Hahaha.
Originally Posted by RandomAudiOwner
Heya people. I've just picked up a B5, and quite a nice one, but its a 12v FWD. Not much fun on the performance side. The price was right though (Free) and well maintained. I had to stick a clutch in it, and some shocks which i havent done yet.

I'm a mechanic by trade, so im not worried about working on this thing, but i am eager to avoid getting problem parts and what not. For instance i would like to drop the car about 1.5 - 2 inches, Some stiffer springs and better struts. The pickings are slim for the 12v FWD though, so suggestions would be welcome, suggestions on where to buy as well.

Any suggestions on getting a few more horses would be welcome, I see the normal route with these is to go Supercharger. That may end up the way to go, but i have not been able to find headers or a full exhaust. I know of a guy who can do the exhaust headers back, but would go for a kit just so i can do it myself.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear

just thoguht id add, www.ecstuning.com is your best friend

Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by erasmmuss
Hello and wellcome to the b5 family and allso if u did not know pain when it comes to cars from now one u will,
So for your susspension i think a vmaxx coil overs are the beste value for the price just google vmaxx an u will find them they are around
600$ and for any other questions don't hessitate to SEARCH the forum before you post a new tread, and allso it would not hurt to invest in a vag-com cable that will save you a lot of time and headaches .
So WELLCOME TO YOUR.WORST NIGHTMARE . Hahaha.
hehe, I'm actually pretty experienced with maintaining these things, I have Vag-Com at the shop, along with ~7k in Matco Scan tools. I Actually prefer working on Audis compared to a lot thats out there, even Hondas are getting retarded. I did the Clutch in ~4.5 hours, including lunch...and beer

But talking to enthusiasts will usually turn up some good info I can tell these aren't like messing with Hondas, which are not nearly as nice, but you can have a lot of fun with the engines.

I'll look into the vmaxx setup, how's the ride on those?

Oh, i did already search a lot, I was hoping for a headswap for easy power, alas, this ain't a chevy. (not that i want it to be, haha)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Or for parts allso u can use azautohaus.com they have good prices, and the ride on vmaxx from what i read on this forum and some other is prety good mines are still in the box along with many many other parts my audi shop time hasn't come up yet ,
Wow 7k in tools nice i have some of that around 16k snap on matco ,mac and allso a 10.000 lbs lift in my back yard lool saves me a ton of cash and i make some letting friend to use it

Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Dam u beat me on the cluch i did'it in 5 hourd with lunch brake on a a6 quattro

Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Or for parts allso u can use azautohaus.com they have good prices, and the ride on vmaxx from what i read on this forum and some other is prety good mines are still in the box along with many many other parts my audi shop time hasn't come up yet ,
Wow 7k in tools nice i have some of that around 16k snap on matco ,mac and allso a 10.000 lbs lift in my back yard lool saves me a ton of cash and i make some letting friend to use it
lol, thats 7k in scan tools, we got ~24k in toolboxes alone! i don't even want to think about the tools.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Dam u beat me on the cluch i did'it in 5 hourd with lunch brake on a a6 quattro
would have been shorter but i wasnt taking the flywheel out, (newer) and i boneheaded it up on the pilot bearing for a while. (hurp take it out and pop it out from the back)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Man u work at a shop with those tools i work on my cars and friends some times lool and if you r looking for good deals on tools or any other stuff check www.rtrservices.com i got my lift from them for $300 and a lot of tools