B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HID and Power supply

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Default HID and Power supply

Okay, installed my DEPO projector lights and HID kit today. Very pleased with the results so far. However there's one new problem. When I turn on the HID lights, it would somehow cause the radio to think that battery's disconnected/reconnected so it jumped to SAFE mode which I have to enter all the security code to get it to work again. But if I have the headunit OFF when I turn on the HID, then turn on the radio, it would work perfectly fine without jumping to safe mode and all that jazz. Any suggestion or advice on this? Is this a good situation or bad? any advice and info is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: HID and Power supply

Sounds like a possible grounding wire issue. If you don't have everything grounded right you will get some weird things happening.

Josh

Old 03-16-2008, 08:08 AM

every onec in a while, my padio (amp and subs really) will *POP* when i turn the lights on. i have checked all my connections, but found nothing. there. i know that's a ton of help

Old 03-16-2008, 04:55 PM

When I turn on my HIDs the radio goes fuzzy as well on most stations, it's quite frustrating.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 PM

I was taking my amp out yesterday and found a copper wire that comes out of corner of the trunk where the amp is located.. it's a straight copper wire that goes underneath all the interior lining (leads to?!) anyone has any clue what that is??

my radios seems to work fine with my HID kit, and beside i've always been using the notorious CASSETTE I-POD adaptor... so.. guess that won't be an issue for me lol. (But in my other post stating a problem with my right front speaker that works when it's warm, buzzes when it's cold out at the beginning of the day, now THAT is frustrating me...)

Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 AM

latest update: I only turned on the corner lights, and it causes the radio to go into safe mode too. Didn't even have to turn on the HIDs to cause the same problem. Any ideas? and Any ideas about the copper wire I mentioned?

If this is the problem, I'd like to know where's the grounding for headlights/cornerlights, and where's the grounding for the amp. Thanks alot guys!

ps. My HID kits has not cause any interferences with radio reception at all, so that's good

Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM

bump to the top for some more advice

Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Same issue for me

1999.0 Avant. I just added the Depo Angel Eye HID light kit, and same as the OP, I turn on my headlights and the stereo goes into SAFE mode. Luckily, I have the code, but it's a PITA to stick the code in every time I drive the car at night.

I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll add a large capacitor inline to the power, or put a choke in the power to the HIDs, or something.

BTW, the lights are otherwise awesome. Way better than stock.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

I have this EXACT problem with my 55watt HIDs. The HID ballasts are drawing too much current to initially fire.

If you turn them on for a while, they'll get hot. Turn your lights on and off and you won't be able to tell there's a problem. Try turning them on when they've been off for a while and you'll see this problem happen more often then not.

Solutions I've looked at include increasing the ground in my car, returning the HIDs and buying from another company, and installing a wiring relay harness.

I've decided to try the relay harness out, but it's not installed yet

Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

I installed the filters, and it didn't make a difference. Well, I guess the radio makes less of a big pop through the speakers when I turn the lights on.

Grrrr...

Well, the stereo sucks anyway. The cassette deck no longer accepts an adapter, and the volume control **** is intermittent. I should just replace the stupid thing anyway.

Quick Reply: HID and Power supply