B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

holy Sh!t fvck!! somethings really wrong!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default holy **** fvck!! somethings really wrong!!

yup...just when i start to fix the body work on my car BAM!!! the engine throws a suprise outta no where at me. this morning on my way to work the car started up and drove fine the entire way on the parkway, then the first time i stopped at a traffic light i heard it. it basically sounded like something was in the fan, like a stick or something, but the sound would stop at ~2200 RPMS every time, in every gear. other then that it was running pretty normal. i made it to work no problem. me and my boss took a quick look at it during a little free time and couldnt really see a problem.
so i had to go to class to take a final and the car started out making the same noise, and within the 10 min. ride to school it got worse and worse every time i would slow down, the car was also not accelerating too well anymore, it felt like the car was not boosting at all, but the gauge read 10lbs, but still i made it to school.
the worst was the ride home just now. i decided to try and stop by the shop i go to on the way home, even thoughthey didntanswer the phone all day and i know their moving into a new shop, anyway lucky me they werent there. the enitre way the car sounded horrible, and had NO power at all, it felt like there was no boost at any time, and the gauge was still reading 10lbs.
long story short the car is running horrible and sounds like **** and im pretty sure its the timing.
i wont know until tommrow what is actually wrong with it so if anyone thinks it might be something else feel free to chime in.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: holy **** fvck!! somethings really wrong!!

Take the timing belt cover and make sure the belt is tight, it may have jumped a tooth? Is there a CEL?
Check the oil level, and perhaps the oil pressure.
Oh an stop driving it!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 PM
2nd Gear

haha yeah i stopped driving. the timing belt has some play to it, and there is oil in the car. fresh oil actually only like 600 miles old. how much does replacing the timing usually cost? cause if thats the problem i might as well replace everything that goes with it as well just to get that out of the way.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Site Moderator

Well if your gonna pay someone to do the job buy the kit from www.ecstuning.com or www.purems.com and have a shop put it in for you. Labor should be around $500-$800 depending where you are in the country.
Oh and tow it to the shop.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear

is ther a cel? if its flashing and the cars running really rough it could be a coil pack. after the car runs, check to see if the CAT starts glowing, becuase that would indicate raw fuel being dumped into it as if a cil pack went out

Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

believe it or not there is no CEL. i find it pretty strange.