B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to disable passenger side airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
1st Gear
Default How to disable passenger side airbag?

Although our Audi A4 is closing on 300k miles, my wife is "attached" to the car. The car runs perfectly as we've been pretty meticulous about the maintenance. In fact, the only thing that's wrong with it right now is the LCD display. I just haven't had a chance to send it in.

But with a 3rd kid, we need to put the 4+ year old, who is on a booster seat, in the front. My wife, understandably so, is worried about the airbag. So I'm thinking of disconnecting it. What's the easiest way to do this such that there is no chance that the airbag would deploy on the passenger side during an accident? This A4 is her daily driver and we do NOT intend to use it to transport kids on a normal basis. She just needs to pickup the kids literally 2 miles away at daycare.

Thoughts?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

Supposedly, the passenger side airbag can be disabled through software using a VAG COM (Adaptation for airbags with VCDS = fail). And you can google "Audi Airbag Adaptation" for more information on this.

However, if I remember correctly certain years/models must be physically disconnected as well to follow the factory procedure. In theory, you can disable the airbag via vag com and then disconnect the airbag, this will disable the airbag and prevent an airbag light. In theory, you can also disable the airbag by simply disconnecting it but the airbag light will come on (and therefore you will not be aware of any new faults).

The problem with just disconnecting things if it isnt called for in the factory procedure, is that you have an exposed connector which could some how make contact with a voltage or an induced voltage could occur. Looking at the wiring diagram however, when you disconnect any connector, the terminals short together as a safety procedure. (This prevents a voltage potential from occurring across the two wires on accident, and therefore no current should be able to flow, its the same reason a person could hang from a power line as long as they dont contact two wires, or a wire and ground).

The service manual eludes that if you disconnect a part of the system or if there is a fault, the airbag module will continue to work normally (the case of what would happen if you just disconnected the airbag without programming via VAG COM). However, there is nowhere I can find that EXPLICITLY say this. In the past, I do believe some manufacturers airbag control modules will disable the entire system if there is a fault. I dont think that is the case for our cars but something you should be aware of.

Basically my overall point is these systems have varied from year to year and the information Ive given you I am 95 percent sure of but not 100 percent. If it were me I would call the dealer and see if they are able to do it for you.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM

If you don't have VAG-COM to access the airbag control module and disable the passenger airbag, you can disconnect the airbag connectors and insert resistors into the mating connectors to keep the AIRBAG light off. I'm assuming you would want to do this with the front, side, and curtain airbags.

A couple years ago I crashed the passenger front wheel hard enough into a curb that the passenger side airbag (in the seat) deployed. As a result I had to buy a new (used) airbag control module. And since the old airbag was no good, I needed to insert a resistor into the airbag connector to keep the airbag light off.

Last edited by MetalMan; 03-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
the passenger side airbag (in the seat) deployed. .
Hmm..... I didn't even think of the SEAT airbag....

Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Hmm..... I didn't even think of the SEAT airbag....
Since your car is a 2001, you've got the main airbag in the dash, the A-pillar bag, the B pillar bag, and the seat bag. Not sure if there's an additional curtain airbag on the roof between the A and B pillars or not?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
2nd Gear

Wow, cant believe I forgot the resistor idea, thanks metal man. The side airbags shouldnt be a problem IMO, tons of cars have seat and head airbags in the back. You just dont want your kid leaning against the door. The scary thing is that they shouldnt lean against the door in the back either but people do it all the time to sleep.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

my audi a4 1999.5 passenger airbag can be turned off with the ignition key in glovebox

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by trev123
my audi a4 1999.5 passenger airbag can be turned off with the ignition key in glovebox
Really? I never looked in there. I'll check that out today lol.