B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How reliable is an AUDI A4?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
Ha, was that A4 owner a f*cking rocket scientist! Obviously an Audi isn't gonna be as cheap as a Honda. They're ECONOMICAL vehicles and Audi's are LUXURY vehicles. I hate it when people try to compare Germans to Yota's and Honduh's. Its like comparing apples to watermelons. Two entirely different vehicles. Keep in mind that you pay what you get for: Honda's are meh.... Audi's are baller status (unless it aint taken care of which even a Veyron will look like ****)
I think the point was that [in general] you can not only expect repairs to cost more, you can expect to need them a lot more often. I myself bought an A4 this spring and have had a number of unexpected repairs (and some part(s) of the suspension, I expect the control arms, are on the way out). If it makes you feel better, compare the Audi to the reliability of an Acura or Lexus. Personally, I'm wishing I held out and paid a little extra for an Acura.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 PM
5th Gear

i don't understand why you're complaining about a car you bought for 200 bux. basically like they say, if you're car was made during the middle of the week, it's a good car. otherwise, you'll have to fix a lot of stuff. what year and engine does it have?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by hiwords
basically like they say, if you're car was made during the middle of the week, it's a good car. otherwise, you'll have to fix a lot of stuff.
ROFL
Did your grandpa tell you that? That is so Henry Ford.

Anyone that is interested in knowing about these cars should start with reading the A4 Newbie Guide sticky.

Brakes and CV joints are not going to cost much, if any more than any other car as long as you avoid the dealer. If you want a 7-10 year old car that drives and gives you little grief, a Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda/yada is the way to go. VW products have their notorious flaws. Always have. For most of their owners though, the driving experience is worth the extra "grief." Especially the DIY-ers.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-08-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:19 AM
5th Gear

naw my grandpa never owned a car and never knew how to drive actually. that's how things are back in the old country

Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Site Moderator

Ya sorry... I shouldn't have brought your fam. into this. Sounds like a real pioneer though!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 AM
5th Gear

no hard feelings man. only people at the stealership who don't understand that they are going to have to clear the faults on my abs sensor after a wheel bearing job **** me off.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by penge
and the mechanic reckons these cars are more trouble than they're worth. I'll end up forever patching things up and forking out, according to the mechanic, that is.
You're going to the wrong mechanic. And yeah if you bought a 200 pound car you're in for a few repairs...

Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

ive had my car for a year and a half (seems like yesterday) and i have only done the timing belt change and replaced both front axles myself. thats all ive had to do with it

Old 08-09-2008, 08:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Scientist

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
Ha, was that A4 owner a f*cking rocket scientist! Obviously an Audi isn't gonna be as cheap as a Honda. They're ECONOMICAL vehicles and Audi's are LUXURY vehicles. I hate it when people try to compare Germans to Yota's and Honduh's. Its like comparing apples to watermelons. Two entirely different vehicles. Keep in mind that you pay what you get for: Honda's are meh.... Audi's are baller status (unless it aint taken care of which even a Veyron will look like ****)
No he's not a rocket scientest, but he is a scientest! Obviously he loves his A4 and since he makes good money is willing to put money into it as well as his BMW M3 Roadster. He's just stating facts as he has witnessed for reliability on two cars from his family. Your comment basically says the same thing on reliability for the Audi. Just in a different condescending way.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mhellman
I think the point was that [in general] you can not only expect repairs to cost more, you can expect to need them a lot more often. I myself bought an A4 this spring and have had a number of unexpected repairs (and some part(s) of the suspension, I expect the control arms, are on the way out). If it makes you feel better, compare the Audi to the reliability of an Acura or Lexus. Personally, I'm wishing I held out and paid a little extra for an Acura.
You obviously didn't understand when I said compare a German to Toyota's and Honda's. More like, Audi=BMW are more comperable cars. Yes Acura and Lexus are luxury cars but not on the same level as the Germans. Its like saying Cadillac, Chrysler and Lincoln are as luxurious as a Benz just because they have leather seats and wood grain steering wheels. The finished quality of BMW, MB and Audi is far more superior than of Lexus or Acura. Most B5's are 10 yrs or older. I got an 01 and even I expect a few repairs here and there.

BTW Acura's are horrible cars. They may be reliable and a good value but as for quality their style is terrible and its not much of an upgrade from the Honda's. I'll hand it to Lexus for making an ok product with the LS,IS and GL's but Acura is... ugh! My 2¢

Last edited by euro_2nr; 08-09-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How reliable is an AUDI A4?