B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Humor me: B5 S4 front brakes on 01.5 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Default Humor me: B5 S4 front brakes on 01.5 A4?

I've read that I won't need new uprights being 01.5, and that this will pretty much be a bolt on. Is that correct?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM

I think what it is, is that you won't need new axles because you're '01.5 (and thus have the larger splines and bearings). But I think you still need uprights because of the different mounting for the caliper carrier. If you get steel S4 uprights then you can keep your control arms, too.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Look at the mounting holes for your carrier. If they are like every other A4 the mounting holes will be like 4" or something apart from each other, and to fit S4 brakes those mounting holes will be noticeably farther apart. And everything metalman said was spot on :]

Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear

I've got a pair of the steel uprights I'll sell if you want to do the swap. Uses all of the stock control arms. With the aluminum uprights the rear lower is different. Pm me if you're interested.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 PM
2nd Gear

What metalman said is spot on.

Also I see that you have the a8/tt upgrade already. You really wouldnt notice much of a difference (if any) going to s4 brakes.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 AM
Legal Moderator

i've pondered this many times. since you are 01, you would need steel uprights, calipers, lines, pads, and a large enough wheel. the main reason i'd go with b5 s4 brakes is to fill out the wheel a bit.

however, the big advantage to running s4 uprights is the wide range of caliper options. pretty much every other audi caliper would bolt onto them. look up b5 s4 upgraded calipers. there are a myriad of options

Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like I was slightly misinformed. Reason I was asking is that my current A8 rotors are warped and I found a set of HP2 calipers on the zine that also come with lines, rotors, pads, and dust shields. Sounds like I could make the whole setup work with the steel uprights from bhusted (thanks for the offer man!)

Now, you say I won't see much of a difference going from A8/TT brakes to B5 S4 brakes. I guess the next obvious question is: is this even worth the effort? I can get new pads and rotors for the A8/TT setup for considerably less than its looking like I'd pay for the parts for the S4 swap. Plus the seller is in America's hat so shipping would no doubt cost a small fortune.

What would you guys do?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Legal Moderator

i would personally go with hp2 calipers. yep, it will cost more, and yep half the reason i'd want those is because they look better inside the wheel. if it were me, i'd pick up the set on audzine, rebuild the calipers while searching for a cheap set of uprights.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

get a set of caliper adaptors from apikol, then buy some used porsche boxster brake calipers and run s4 rotors, with steel brake lines. Small fortune but custom and you have porsche brakes. I am still a little curious as to how much better the a8 brake rotor upgrade is. I can't imagine it would stop as good as the s4 brakes. Dual piston calipers almost always feel better through the pedal as well. My stock a4 pedal feel leaves a lot to be desired... So what say the people who have done the upgrade.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

I went from stock A4 stuff to the S4 stuff and it makes a huge difference. I haven't had them on long enough to really do any hard braking (still working out kinks with the V8), but I can already say that the pedal feel and bite are much improved.

As others have pointed out the physical appearance is much better than the A4 stuff. The original A4 rotors looked tiny inside of my 18" wheels. Will I ever go to a 4 piston Porsche or other caliper? Probably not. This will be plenty for my current needs.

Chris, I wish I would have known you were thinking of this before. I'm currently in MI doing my V8 swap and could have brought the steel uprights with me. Could have saved on some shipping.

Quick Reply: Humor me: B5 S4 front brakes on 01.5 A4?