B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Keep the RS4 alive

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

the problem with the N/A is you cant really add much power, i believe the point of the S/RS line is to be moddable and make more better. Thats a good point tho, we shouldn't petition to keep the RS4 alive we should petition to make AUdi develop a RWD system greather than BMW then there would nevere have to be an argument of whic one is better.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

I don't really agree. The A4 and S4 are traditionally easily modded for more performance because they are designed to be basic sport sedans. The RS4 should be like the end result, the greatest the platform can be while still being a comfortable road going sport sedan. Obviously, an RS4 can always be modded to reduce weight because it will always be somewhat of a luxury sports car, just like the M3/M5, AMG, whatever.

Point is, if you want a car you can mod to make it your own, go for the A4/S4. If you want a 4dr AWD car that's as good as the germans can make it the RS4 should be it. The point of the RS4 concept in my mind isn't easy mod-ability, and it shouldn't be designed that way.

All that, and I just like V8's.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

u obviously dont have the 2.8 lol
i have driven both rs6 and a m5 id take the audi over it any day of course
and you silly there is no "end result" there is always more room for mmore parts lol plus when your starting with 400ish thats not enough considering a BMW starst around 5ish id take the Audi engine over a BMW engine tho reguarless of the car the Audi engine are just a step above, even if you were to mod an s4 into a power house they body styling of the rs4 widebody is something else i saw an rs6 from about 500 ft away coming up to me and could just tell it wasnt a standard car by its body.
The v8 yes but its old a new one maybe a 5.0l something more powerful lol always need more power. But i think the TTRS is their throw **** at a wall and see what stick platform lol they are taking steps for weight loss also considering the ttrs comes with almosr full alumn body and chassis. If they take the weight down on every model the Audi will be one of the best cars ever made. iD take a way ligther supercar over the R8 anyday/

Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

May I suggest you learn the art of punctuation? It's an important skill to have.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

I have the skill, I can't do it and type fast at the same time. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will try to punctuate more. Also, I have Apple technology in which they punctuate for you and when i am at a computer I end up forgetting I have to do it myself. ******* Steve Jobs.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

I don't have a 2.8? Funny, I could have sworn I did.

If you read my posts you'd see I was calling for a ~500HP N/A V8. I think Audi has gotten all they're going to get out of the 4.2L. I agree, the parameters I'm asking for would require a new engine, or going to forced induction on the 4.2L, which I wouldn't be against.

Comparing an RS4 to an M3 is sort of apples to oranges. Yeah, they're both expensive, performance oriented sport sedans, but the RWD BMW will always be more fun cornering on dry pavement, on the track. The Audi is more fun/practical in the real world, with less than optimal conditions. I haven't driven either an M3 or an RS4 though; these are just my off the cuff views.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear

sorry lol my point being the 2.8 has too many limitations, the benefits of a turbo car is always easily add more power(to an extent) and i like to wrench often i have been on my buddies subi feeling like a loser because the only fun things i can do are maintain it.

i would also be opposed to the forced induct on the V8 aswell for some reason it doesnt seem right. A v8 should be able to push its weight around with no problem naturally.

I agree if i lived on a track id own an M3 i live in the snow so audi makes sense. The only time a RWd can shine is on dry pavements, i like to go fast no matter what the weather.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

I'm with you on the 2.8L V6. I like the engine, that's why I own one, but it could be a lot better. It's fast enough for a daily driver.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM
3rd Gear

Not to throw too much into an already good discussion, I think the practicality of a N/A V8 is waning everywhere you look.

Don't get me wrong I grew up idolizing many V8 powered cars, but manufacturers are going lighter and smaller to get the same amount of power by using forced induction. Lest we forget emissions will cause manufacturers to meet increasingly stringent standards. There will always be low volume exceptions that will get away with using raw V8 (or even V10 or V12 power) though such as the R8. Thoughts?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

That's exactly the reason I push for V8's in performance cars. If SUV's and pickups can have them so can M3's and RS4's. Especially now that production engine technology is getting better and better. The new 30MPG Mustang GT is a good sign that companies aren't giving up on V8's just because a supercharged V6 is easier.

That and the fact that gas mileage has a lot more to do with how you drive than most people understand. I loved the test the Top Gear guys did a couple years back with a Prius running around the track flat out and an M3 just going fast enough to keep up with it.

Quick Reply: Keep the RS4 alive