B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

kind of a poll question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default kind of a poll question

How many of you guys would put off a timing belt job on a 2000 audi a4 1.8t with 160,000 miles (also dont know when the last timing belt was done) to get suspension for it.

I have been riding stock height for a while now and have a crazy itch for lowering my car. But I know the smart thing to do is just do the timing belt asap.

The car drives like it was new. And if I do put off the timing belt it would only be for a month.

I just woke up and this idea popped into my head.

Name:  audi3.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Go get your timing belt looked at, it will cost a fraction of what it would be to replace it. But then again if they do all that mine as well replace it.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

if its only a month id say youd be fine with getting your suspension out of the way first...

that being said i had your same dilemma about 2 months ago and i opted for getting my TB done first... so lol idk what to tell you...

if you have 160k on it id assume it has definately been done once before? probably around 90k... so you should have another 20k before you hit the (2x90k) 180k mark where you should definately have it done before...

its really up to you, seing as you live in CA, you shouldnt be itching to get it done before the cooold weather sets in like it will here in MN

Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM
4th Gear

I would but only if the car was parked for that month. If the timing belt breaks you will be looking at a very expensive fix and at that point you will need to sell your suspension kit and anything else you can get your hands on to replace all the valves and maybe the pistons when that belt snaps.

Why not just change the timing belt now and get that suspension in 1 month when you save up the money you spent on the timing belt?

Another choice would be to contact me and see what kind of package deal I can give you on suspension and a timing belt at the same time. I also know a Audi tech in Sac if you need someone to put it in for you.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Why not just change the timing belt now and get that suspension in 1 month when you save up the money you spent on the timing belt?
/thread

Tom - what kind of lowering kit are you looking into, just springs?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
I would but only if the car was parked for that month. If the timing belt breaks you will be looking at a very expensive fix and at that point you will need to sell your suspension kit and anything else you can get your hands on to replace all the valves and maybe the pistons when that belt snaps.

Another choice would be to contact me and see what kind of package deal I can give you on suspension and a timing belt at the same time. I also know a Audi tech in Sac if you need someone to put it in for you.
If you have an audi tech in sac that would be awesome! PM me! I would like to get some prices from you!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
/thread

Tom - what kind of lowering kit are you looking into, just springs?
Im looking to buy the vmaxx kit. it was like $710 shipped. not too bad

Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by teeebagTOM
If your not looking to adjust it all the time then a set of Koni shocks and good springs is a better choice.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by teeebagTOM
Quality man. Audi's demand quality. Premium gas, sythetic oil, quality suspension. Vmaxx might drop you, but you're going to regret it. You get what you pay for.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:05 AM
Administrator

If you're not sure when the timing belt was replaced, I would probably do that first. The belt can snap at anytime and it would be a relatively pricey fix.

At the end, it really is up to you though. Wish you the best.

Quick Reply: kind of a poll question