B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Lady in need of help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Lady in need of help!!

Hey there got a 99 A4 Avant and the car is EXTREMELY slow at start up. This is an issue I have been trying to figure out since I got the car (12/07) and haven;t had much luck. From what I've read the car should be fairly quick and I've been told everything from my Tranny to my Turbo. So here's the question:
1. HOw would I know if my turbo is bad
2. Is there a way to determine this without dishing out thousands of dollars
3.. If it is all normal how do I get it to be faster?
Put it this way I have to turn off the AC in order to get it to accelerate decently.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

any unusual noises? any codes stored in the ecu? are you standard transmission or auto?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Site Moderator

A non-modified 1.8t wouldn't really be considered as "quick." They are actually pretty slow. Only 150hp and a pretty heavy car, more so w/being an avant.

Look into getting a chip and upgraded diverter valve if you want it to perform the way it should have from the factory. The turbo is likely fine. If it was bad, it would be noisy, smoke out the tail pipe, and other symptoms other than being just slow. It's possible you have a wastegate issue (part of the turbo) but also unlikely. There may be a knowledgeable member here who lives close and would be willing and nice enough to go check it out for you if you wish, but a lot of people ask why their 1.8t is so slow, and it's because it is what it is.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Ya but you never know what her definition of slow is lol......like is it so slow that a Geo metro can pass you down shifting when your accelerating at full throttle or slow as in the engine struggle's. Cuz my A4 is stock and not to be the bragger but i have been in mustang's that have 400+ HP and im not saying that the a4 is fast but it's a fairly decent when coming out of a dead stop or a nice little roll of about 15 to 25 it's not that decent but at the same a time decent car for the weight and considering the extra hard ware that it has due to the quattro system and it's Little 4 banger

Old 07-22-2010, 04:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Lady in need of help

Its an Auto, there is no smoking, noise only noise is from the AC which is another issue all together. When I turn the AC on and start to drive (especially of VERY hot days) it lets out the most horrible humiliating squealing noise I have ever heard the noise last about 10 seconds and will occasionally do it as the car switches gears but all this occurs ONLY if the ac is on. Any thoughts on this? As far as adding anything I was told that the turbo puts out "5 pounds" (whatever that means) so my question is if I put on something to put out more don't I run the risk of blowing up my engine?
Thanks again!
N.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Lady in need

Uh yea the Metro would spank me at a light lol, especially if the AC is on!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Oh yea someone else mentioned a "Throttle body" any thoughts?

Old 07-22-2010, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Well if a geo metro could beat you then you prolly have some kind of problem, and no, a chip and dv would not blow up yur engine. Just make it faster

Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

LOL i think you have a case of go-fast if you want more power just read up on what the forum has to offer with increasing HP and and stuff like that, and from their decide and for that noise that it's making i have no idea read up on anything that has to do with AC on hear maybe it's happened before to someone or something in the B5 A4 section.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

is your check engine light on? if you can, go get your car scanned and post back on what ecu codes you have. it makes diagnosing problems so much easier.

Quick Reply: Lady in need of help!!