B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Last Chance Before my Wallet gets Reamed by Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Last Chance Before my Wallet gets Reamed by Mechanic

I start my car in morning and CEL blinks, cars running rough, RPMs jumping, drive it 50 yards and back, no acceleration. Replaced ICM and coils 6 months ago.

Get 2 codes:
P0304 _Misfire #4
P1545- Throttle Body Malfunction
1) Clean TB and everything looks good.
2) Next day try to start car and appears battery is dead. Will not start. Only ticking noise. Get fed up.

Get it towed to mechanic that is close. (dont know if reliable).

Tells me:
After diagnostic tells me he doesn't know, but it could be:
1) Bent valve
2) Blown head gasket
3) Overheated
4) Valve Burned
5) Cyclinder broken

And he has to open everything up to find out. 4 hours of labor.

How does he not know? All these problems from only 2 original codes that I pulled up? He said he cant pull codes because car won't start and codes were reset?

What do you guys think? Probably gonna have it towed to Dealership to figure it out.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by audiblacky
RPMs jumping, drive it 50 yards and back, no acceleration.
that is exactly what my mom's town car did before it gave up the ghost.

Don't rely on my answer but from the sound of that I would agree with the estimate.

Usually though there are warning signs before you get to the end, colorful sweet smelling exhaust, etc.... anything present before the CELs?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear

That mechanic doesnt know what hes talking about it sounds like... Could be another spark igniton issue like it was before... Maybe a throttle body issue, but that should resolve itself when you give it gas using the gas pedal, that would explain a rough idle but not while your on the gas (unless you are drive by wire >2000). Id check plugs, fuel delivery and stuff first, i definetly wouldnt let that mechanic swap out your engine just yet haha thats for sure, id try somewhere else.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Exactly small tune up items first. He sounds like he just wants to soak you. Don't be that victim. Is this an indy audi repair place or??? It may take 4 hours to find out the cause but I just don't see it involving another engine.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear

Find out if they have performed a block test. That will tell you if you have a bad head gasket. If there saying all that and haven't at least done that find a different mechanic.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 PM
3rd Gear

yea a compression test would tell you if you bent a valve (which unless your TB slipped or broke is hard to do) or if you have a "broken cylinder" (?!) or blown head gasket. one test would eliminate half of that list.

cant really give you any other information because you FORGOT TO MENTION WHAT CAR/YEAR/ENGINE THIS IS

Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 AM
4th Gear

like everyone else said, do the compression test first, that will elminate half the issues, also what car do you have if its a DBW throttle body it my need alignment or replacement. the misfirse issue could be another bad coil so try switching them.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
3rd Gear

And he has to open everything up to find out. 4 hours of labor.
A leak down and compression test does not take 4 hours.

What do you guys think? Probably gonna have it towed to Dealership to figure it out.
You'll pay more at the dealer, but at least you know it will be done right. In the long run, it will probably save you money versus somebody throwing parts at it and sending you down the road.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Site Moderator

Have you tried a throttle body adaptation? You would need a good battery for that since it has to be done with the car not running. But a failure of the VAG to communicate will give a good indication that the TB needs replacing.
You might simply need a new throttle body. http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2696782.phtml

Your mechanic is going to rip you off by going from one possible resolution to another until he lucks out and fixes the problem. The dealer (or an Audi mechanic) would know the right diagnostic steps for these symptoms. Go to someone who knows Audis.

... also what car do you have if its a DBW throttle body it my need alignment or replacement.
He says he replaced the ICM - so that means he is pre ATW engine, which is pre 2000 model. Pre 2000's have a mechanical throttle body = drive by cable.

Last edited by brrman; 02-20-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys for all your help!

Just an FYI- Its a 1997 A4 1.8 135,000 Quattro.
I think some of you guys are correct. I was doing the Throttle body adjustment and noticed my battery getting weaker and weaker and I believe it completely died from that.

I will put a new battery in, try to get new codes and try a TBA. I already cleaned out the TB so that looked fine.

I got it towed from mechanic back to my house. Gonna try this, then down to dealer if it doesn't work.

Will let you all know!

Quick Reply: Last Chance Before my Wallet gets Reamed by Mechanic