B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

LCD Repair or Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 PM
1st Gear
Default LCD Repair or Replacement

I did a search and found nothing, but then I am not too good on doing searches.
The LCD in my '98 A4 does not function at all. Audi tells me this is no longer available. Is there an aftermarket source for these, either rebuilt or new?
If not, is anyone repairing them? Or am I just out of luck and have to live with out it?
Any information would be appreciated.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear

A repair will cost you around $350. I don't believe you'd be able to find a new one.

You could probably find one from a used car and use it but I'm not 100% if you could just plug it in and it would work. My guess is it would have to be programmed or something.

Do you just have it turned off? There's a button on the windshield wiped switch on the bottom, press that.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

If I remember correctly you can swap clusters but you can't change the mileage. So if you have 60k on your car, and you put in a cluster from a car that has 160k, you can't program it back to 60k.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Speedometer Repair and Odometer Repairs at Low Prices! Instrument Cluster Repair! does them pretty cheap- IIRC it was $150 or so, plus shipping? Called them a couple times, super nice people. They said they use a compatible LCD, not the stock one, but that you can't notice the difference.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:26 AM

You can definitely get this done cheaper than $350. In most places the LCD alone costs ~$50-100 depending on OEM/aftermarket. Labor will vary, of course.

This can be a DIY job. I've done it. BUT it requires good soldering skill and patience.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies. My knowledge base is improving every day.
I found (or rather a knowledgeable friend did) a NOS (new old stock) instrument cluster. It is my intention to just replace the cluster with the NOS one. If I understand correctly, I will have to find somebody with a Vag-com to program the mileage so that it reads correctly. Is this true?
Personally, I do not have concerns with what the odometer says, as long as I have records to show what it read before replacement and I report it to DMV to remain legal. But, it would be nice for the new odometer to reflect the actual total mileage.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

LCD Replacement (Aftermarket LCD) - $110.00 : Reflect Tuning :: SHOP

$110 to replace the LCD with an aftermarket unit.

Once a cluster has more than 100 miles on it the mileage cannot be changed without resetting it to zero first. The same company I linked above will reset the cluster for $50. Once it has been reset, you need a registered version of VCDS to program the correct mileage into the cluster.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

I just got off the phone with DNA Speedometer Repair. They are going to "program" the odometer for me and install the new cluster. Now I just have to wait for the new cluster to arrive.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by oldgrump
I just got off the phone with DNA Speedometer Repair. They are going to "program" the odometer for me and install the new cluster. Now I just have to wait for the new cluster to arrive.
Funny: I tried to get a hold of them for my Yukon cluster conversion, but never got a reply.

We're not too far from each other.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

DNA Speedometer Repair seems to be a smaller shop. I first got an aswering recording that ask me to please hold for the next available technician. Was only a couple of minutes and my call was picked up. I wouild try again. Seem to be nice people and willing to work with my schedule. I am also having them install the new cluster I am capable of doing the install, but have some personal reasons for them to do that.
After everything is done, I'll post about the experience and my impressions of the place.

Quick Reply: LCD Repair or Replacement