B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Leaking Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Leaking Coolant

Hi, need some help to determine where I am leaking coolant. When I drove today for a while after I pulled in the garage and turned off the engine I notice I was leaking coolant from the front (drivers side). It was dripping a lot from just behind/near the oil filter. First question.. Is there an overflow near there - if not I looked at the hoses and I do not see a leak (may need to wait till the car is cooled off (Arizona heat) as the car is too hot. Any ideas would be most appreciated. I leaked enough to go from Max to Min on the reservoir.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:46 AM
2nd Gear

I didn't read your entire post, but the coolant tank has a relief valve on the (rear) bottom side of the tank. You also have two oil cooler lines there (they connect right above the oil filter). When those hoses begin to go bad, they usually begin to leak (as opposed to bursting wide open). Check those three things and post an update.

G/L

Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response... I checked to verify and the oil coolant lines look good ( I replaced them with new 3 years ago too.) Regarding the coolant tank - if you mean reservoir on top of the engine I do not think that is it. See the picture below - It looks like it came from the drain plug are where the coolant drains. The plug is tight- can the plug blow out internally or is there a relief valve inside of it? It is not still draining and I presume there is not any other overflow for the coolant tank in this area. Thank for the help.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Another update. Took off the bumper. Looked at the drain plug. - not the issue. Ran the car and I think it is the radiator. Tell me if you think that is correct or if I should consider something else. You can see the leaking (coolant) in the top picture as well as the bottom bushing. Also it is running along the bottom of the radiator.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

Update... I removed the condenser to get a better look. Did not put the car in service position since there is no hose at the bottom where the leak is (unless I am wrong). It appears it is the radiator. Tell me if I am incorrect. See below. Thank you.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg
Coolant Leak.mpg (4.08 MB, 3 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 02:20 AM
2nd Gear

It looks like your radiator took a ****, but I would check the connection on the lower hose first.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

Yeah it looks like the radiator is done.. There is no hose at the bottom there where it is leaking only the fan switch temp sensor (which is not leaking). So a new radiator it is. Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

My pleasure. G/L with everything.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

Thank you.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

Update.. Installed the radiator today. All is good. I even have heat from the heater - that small leak (that I could not find for the last months) was the radiator and when it finally blew it appears that was letting in just enough air to not give me heat. Anyway thanks for the help. Now on to the next thing and a new post.

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant