B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Leaking Oil Pan RTV Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Leaking Oil Pan RTV Gasket

About a month ago, I noticed a small oil leak coming from my oil pan gasket right above where the drain plug is. I had some RTV left over from a VC and CCT gasket job I just did maybe two weeks ago.

So last weekend I drained the oil, popped off the oil pan, cleaned both surfaces really well and applied the RTV to the oil pan. I let the RTV skin up for about ten-fifteen minutes since it was kinda cold outside (about 60 degrees).

Then I reassembled everything and let it sit for a whole 24 hours. When I started it back up, it started to leak in the same exact spot and a little bit from the edge closest to the rear of the car!

What gives? Did I let the RTV skin up too long? I made sure that I tightened the bolts in a criss-cross pattern and double checked that they were all tight; however I didn't have a torque wrench so I guessed what 7ft-lbs felt like. I used black high temp RTV from a Fisher Auto.

If anyone has some input on what I may have done wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Might be a dumb question, but I assume you got the RTV specifically made for applications where it comes in contact with petroleum? I'm no expert but I know that some flavors of RTV aren't suitable for use on stuff like oil pans and head/valve cover gaskets

Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Yes I got the RTV that specially states it can be used for valve cover gaskets, oil pans, etc.

Do you think letting the RTV dry too long on the pan before assembling would have caused a problem?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM

You used the right rtv, usually you want to pop it right on and not let it sit but it shouldnt set up in ten min. Its possible the pan isnt 100% flat on the mating edge,

Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

Once I got the pan cleaned up I checked with a straightedge and thought it was flat. I just looked it over quick and might have missed that though.

Do you have any preferred brand of RTV? I know a couple people swear by the OEM brand and some who do by Permatex. I don't think it really makes a difference though, does it?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 PM

i use the high temp black **** and have never had a problem. try keeping it inside so its warm and gooey and once it goes on put the pan right on. let it sit a few hours before you put oil in it.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

I guess I'll give that a shot. I just hate having to redo stuff especially when I took my time and didn't rush. Like I said, it was kinda cold when I did it. So maybe it was too cold for the rtv to seal well. Thanks man

Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Administrator

My oil pan leaks a little bit as well, and everything I read on Audizine said to use the Audi sealant that's like $20 a bottle from the dealer. Guess it's one of those few things you can buy from the dealer that's actually worth paying more for?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

I might have to bite the bullet and just buy the dealer crap haha

Is it possible to have some light smoking or burning oil smell come from a leaky oil pan? I know it's not my VCs or CCTs. Those are dry as a bone now. But when I'm driving ill get a slight whiff of burnt oil and sometimes a small cloud from underneath the car once I get out.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM

you shouldn't see smoke from it because its the lowest point so its never going to hit the block. It could possibly be you upper oil pan.

Quick Reply: Leaking Oil Pan RTV Gasket