B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: Get one or not?
Yes
66.67%
No
11.11%
Maybe
22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Looking to buy a Audi A4 B5 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Get a manual.

The females like it.
Bahahaha Maybe I should learn to drive a manual

Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
I originall voted no, but after further reading, I think you should be fine if you get the V6.

I'll say though, do not get auto. Going manual makes it more flexible if you want to do more things to the car. I have the auto/tip, I dont hate it, but wish I found a manual. It was hard to find at the time I needed a car.

The first couple years of owning the car was quite expensive. After all the maintenance was done it was pretty much smooth sailing. A few scares here and there so always keep money aside. Its just frustrating knowing you have some cash aside, and would rather spend it on some mods.

I'm not planing on mods.. If any mods just a exhaust or something but that's it nothing crazy! I've got no problem paying more for services etc.. But I don't want to be putting crap tons of money in it you know? I've got no issue saving money so having money aside for work is not an issue I really really like these cars.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FishEye
get the v6 man... from what i know the 2.8 is more reliable than the 1.8... unless you're trying to build a track beast then i would reccomend the 2.8. 12valve or 30valve doesnt matter to me... one has less moving parts and the other has more... more moving parts = more chances of failure. less moving parts.... you get the idea. and get manual just to get that extra MPG... its also fun too dont get me wrong... it takes time my friend you'll find the right one

Well my plan is once I start looking for one.. I'll look for a V6 preferable the 30V Transmission I'm in the air about it personally

Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CheckerBird
If you need a reliable, economical, low maintenance daily driver to get you back & forth to college and/or job... I would not recommend an older B5. I would instead recommend to get a good used Toyota/Honda/Mazda/etc for use as a transportation appliance. The last thing you want is expensive repair or maintenance problems when you're late for class on an exam day at school. An older Audi can be an expensive toy/hobby vehicle unless you happen to find a very cherry one.
Yes, I want them things.. But I'm also fine with extra costs here and there I've looked at 98-02 accord's and they have crappy transmissions :/ the audi has so many goodies good sound systems, AWD For in the country where I live, they're is many reasons why I'm thinking about a audi so much.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by FishEye
agreed ^^^ get a little toyota corolla or a civic or something as a daily driver... then come home to a awesome audi a4 b5 5 speed sitting in ur driveway.. then take the a4 to ur local college partys and roll in style and get all the b***hes
You guys are funny! lol

Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Hey Tyler, in the bottom right of each post, theres a little button in the middle that allows you to quote multiple in one message when you hit reply.

But really, get a manual and learn. Not only is it more fun, you can get better gas mileage, you have much more control over the car, and it's one of life's skills that you must learn. ...(it will impress certain women, others couldn't give a **** as long as it gets them to dinner and looks decent.)

Oh and if you ever travel to europe and need to drive, most of the vehicles are manual.

So just get a manual.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TylerHartman
Bahahaha Maybe I should learn to drive a manual
This. It is imperative that every man knows how to drive a manual, regardless of what car it is. I will teach my sons, as my father taught me (tossed me the keys to his 5 speed and said you're driving).

Like changing oil, changing a tire, or pleasing a woman, there are certain things all men should know how to do. This is one of them.

As for the car, just make sure you have a back up plan for when your 12+ year old car decides it doesn't want to cooperate that day, when you do have a major exam or something.

Most B5 owners who take car of their maintenance love there car more than any other car they've owned. I've owned my B5 for 3 and a half years now, the longest I've owned any single car (I'm 32 and bought my first car 15 years ago), and I really do love it.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
This. It is imperative that every man knows how to drive a manual, regardless of what car it is. I will teach my sons, as my father taught me (tossed me the keys to his 5 speed and said you're driving).

Like changing oil, changing a tire, or pleasing a woman, there are certain things all men should know how to do. This is one of them.

As for the car, just make sure you have a back up plan for when your 12+ year old car decides it doesn't want to cooperate that day, when you do have a major exam or something.

Most B5 owners who take car of their maintenance love there car more than any other car they've owned. I've owned my B5 for 3 and a half years now, the longest I've owned any single car (I'm 32 and bought my first car 15 years ago), and I really do love it.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02

Best answer in the thread.