B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Looking into Purchasing B5

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Looking into Purchasing B5

Hello, I've been currently interested in purchasing a 2003 A4 1.8T used. And through research I've noticed I can actually get these for a decent price, and I started wondering why. It turns out that many people have been reporting all kinds of maintenance issues. Let me list a couple that scare me the most, that seem to be popping up often.

1) Breaks replacement every year?
2) Timing belt replacement after 70-80k miles
3) Back window seal, if it has to be replaced, could cost up to 4k?

These have popped up in lots of reviews, how serious or worried should I be? I do plan on using it for daily usage including driving about 20min. commute to and from work. Are these over exaggerations of people who don't upkeep the car properly? Or are these legit complains, and if I plan on using it as a commuter should I be looking else where?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

most people just dont take proper care of their car...but there are things on a4's that go bad more than others...like hub bearings...tranny/engine/diff mounts...cv joints/boots...window regulators(thats all about luck, so far i only had one window fail and the little green plastic guide broke)...and the most common The ABS module(it's bound to go one day, but many of us like me still drive with no abs)....but overall if you just dont abuse the car and keep up with all maintenance, this is a very good car....i hope this helps and im sure other members will make some comments as well.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

Surely you are interested in a B6 if 2003 model.

My 97 B5, has done 420,000km (262,000 miles), and over the last 4 years the following work have been done outside normal servicing routines, and outside my own fault.

New discs front and rear, slight brake leak on rear, new windscreen as the seals went and leaked water (tried to repair but none of the repairs lasted - the dampness then caused other electronic problems), rear lower wishbone (due to be replaced next week on both sides), one wheel bearing, rust spots over the front arches.

The oil is changed every 10,000km, uses 0.5 litres/5000km of oil. Never broken down, starts like a dream, exceedingly low fuel consumption.

The car has been serviced from new by the main dealer.

Ain't all timing belts in all cars replaced after 70-80k miles??

From personal experience one is either lucky or not when purchasing a car. My ex-ford focus which was described as 'bullet proof' by motoring mags was a disaster, my other car - a 2005 Toyota Avensis (another well-thought-of car) - is noisy and has had lots of clutch issues and minor interior problems. I prefer my little red Audi!

Remember all forums are skewed towards those that have problems with their cars and is not a fair representation.

Last edited by Grapeel01; 08-16-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Default sludge?

VW has a "sludge" problem with their 1.8T motors...does Audi have the same problem with these motors?

VW's fix: switch to synthetic oil. Oil changes a maximum mileage between at no more than 5000 miles.

From reading, some continue to have problems even using synthetic in their VW's 1.8T.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ScottA6
VW has a "sludge" problem with their 1.8T motors...does Audi have the same problem with these motors?
All 1.8T longitudinal engines (Passat, A4) are prone to sludge issues due to poor maintenance. Change the oil every 5k miles with fully synthetic oil and use BG's M.O.A. or the occasional Seafoam treatment to help prevent the issue. VW/Audi Transverse 1.8Ts (Jetta, Golf, TT) do not seem to suffer from the same issues as often.

VW's fix: switch to synthetic oil. Oil changes a maximum mileage between at no more than 5000 miles.
Same as Audi. If the engine has suffered sludge issues in the past, a "sludge kit" may have been installed. Essentially, a new oil pump pickup tube and screen.

From reading, some continue to have problems even using synthetic in their VW's 1.8T.
Use Castrol Full Synth, Mobil 1, or Elf with BG M.O.A. or occasional Seafoam treatments and you wont have this issue. If there is already a sludge issue, you'll need a sludge kit.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
3rd Gear

1) Breaks replacement every year?
This is totally driver dependent. Use a high quality pad such as Hawk or Pagid, lube the sliders, and you will easily see 40k miles out of a set of pads driving under normal conditions. "Pad-slapping" these cars is what causes noise and poor wear characteristics. Take the time to inspect, clean, and lube the brakes and you'll be fine.

2) Timing belt replacement after 70-80k miles
Any engine with a timing belt is going to need to be replaced, which is pretty much every VW and Audi, as well as numerous Mitsubishis, Saabs, etc. I'd much rather replace a VAG 1.8T timing belt every 80K miles than the timing chain tensioners in a V6 Altima every 60k miles, or even once for that matter! It's one thing to fear it breaking, it's another to fear having to change it. There are sooooo many worse maintenance tasks on other cars.

3) Back window seal, if it has to be replaced, could cost up to 4k?
That's absurd. Who gave you that quote? It's a back window seal, dude. Again, lots of cars see problems such as this, even Mercedes, but no one charges $4k to reaseal widow!

All cars have problems; all cars are financial liabilities. However, we need them. A4 is one of the safest cars on the road, gets reasonable fuel economy, and generally has a decent resale value. Add Quattro and a turbo, and it's awesome in all weather conditions and is fun to drive too.

I'd much rather swap out a t-belt on an A4 every 80k miles than have to deal with rusty quarter panels, sloppy suspensions or poor crash-test ratings that you'll experience with many of the 'other' imports.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

I guess I was misinformed, I always thought the B5 was the 03-05, so I'm looking for a B6, is that suppose to be more reliable??

I'm just trying to gauge what I'm looking at for maintenance, my last car was a 00Civic Si, and **** only problem I've had with it was the window seal's, and the window regulator going out. But after 9 years I still had no problems with it, except it being stolen lol.

If all it takes is extra cash in the bank as reserve, and good upkeep I think it might be worth it, I like having projects to work on. And god damn the look and feel of the Audi A4's are just awesome, and it's the only thing that's been on my mind since I lost my car.

But any other advice, or things I should look into when actually purchasing a used 03-05Audi A4 1.8T? Or should I go w/ the V6 since I want more reliability?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

i totally didnt see the 03 part haha....yea its a b6 not b5

Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by buli209
Thanks for the advice so far guys!

I guess I was misinformed, I always thought the B5 was the 03-05, so I'm looking for a B6, is that suppose to be more reliable??
No. Reliability is the same. The powertrain and drivetrain are almost identical, as are some of the electronics. The biggest difference from B5 to B6 is the B6 weighs more and is larger.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 PM
5th Gear

forget the B6 get a B5. if you do get a B6, make sure you get an Dophlin Grey 2005 with USP wagon. something that look a little like this
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26um%3D1

Quick Reply: Looking into Purchasing B5