B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Lots of B5 questions

Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Lots of B5 questions

After lurking for awhile gathering research I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Audi A4, Please excuse the laundry list of questions as a first post.

Basically I'm looking at a 99-00 B5 1.8 Quattro 5-spd. I have 2 cars already, Millenia spends most of its time in a carcapsule and grand cherokee gets 15mpg highway if I'm lucky, so really I need something good on gas, more "professional" and I'm only looking to spend about 5500 on purchase.

1. 99 or 00? Some minor changes but anything major? (outside of whats in the newbies guide, tips, tricks, fixes etc)

2. Major services or things to do right away (beyond waterpump and timing belt)

3. Can you swap the more functional gauge cluster from 00 to 99?

4. Actual mpg for 5spd Quattro, many sources vary widely from 17city to 32 highway and everything in between.

5. Decent asking price for one with around 100k or alittle less.

6. MPG difference when upgrading to k04 (k04-15?) turbo

7. MPG difference with and without turbo using software bump (GIAC?)

8. Issues with upgrading turbo and/or software. 150hp is pretty low but I'd rather deal with that then have things start breaking.

9. S4 bumper, direct fit or no?

10. Overall ownership, People on here say the 2.8 is more reliable, other places say the 1.8 is more reliable but also easier to work on

11. This is what I'm hoping to end up with when all is said and done. Painted side skids, eibach springs, replica 18" rims, s4 bumper, 35% tint, s4 mesh grill, borla exhaust, and I'll probably do a custom hid retrofit at some point, Thanks to everyone for help and input.
Name:  1999a418.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  41.5 KB

Last edited by synesthesia; 05-27-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM

i bought a 2.8 but wish i would have got a 1.8. they are both badass cars so you wont go wrong i guess. my 2.8 gets awesome gas milage and gets up and goes if she wants to. i would assume the 4 banger would get better milage but i hear stock vs stock the 2.8 will take the 1.8.......DONT FORGET QUATTRO!!!!! WHATEVER YOU DO GET QUATTRO!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply, I'm not looking for alot of power nor spending 10-20k in mods on another project. Just something to get 30mpg+ on the highway with small budget for mild styling and performance. Ideally I'd like 200-240hp just to get around without worrying.

My Jeep's a 4.7HO lifted, locked, and rolling on 32" a/t so no need for quattro, but I'm pretty deadset on 5spd quattro with the 1.8. Also plan on doing all the work myself and I hear the i4 is much easier to deal with.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 PM
4th Gear

99.5 1.8TQM is the way to go (I may be biased a little).

I'm currently getting about 26-27 MPG Highway with my APR tune. The more boost you push, the more fuel you use.

I bought mine in upstate NY for 4,500 a little over a year ago with 112K miles.

Make sure the TB is already done to save that headache, however since you sound like you know your way around a vehicle, you could do it yourself for about 300 bucks (www.blauparts.com for a complete kit with coolant and everything, and they rent the tools if you need them).

Quattro is a must. Period. Otherwise, just get a VW

I'm not sure if a OEM S4 bumper is a direct fit or not, but if I had to guess, I would think it is.

99.5 vs. 99- 99.5 has one piece headlights, clear side markers, and the facelift interior.

99.5 vs. 00- 99.5 has the larger intake bore holes and is DBC with the AEB engine (some consider the AEB the best base engine). The '00 is DBW and has the smaller ported intake.

You can get to 200 HP on the stock turbo with a tune and other mods like exhaust. Most will tell you that upgrading to the KO4 isn't worth the money unless you have to replace the turbo anyway, in which case you're only spend a couple extra hundred.

The '01 has an upgrade KO3s turbo with about 170 HP stock, and I think they make more chipped power as well, and you may be able to find one in your budget if you look hard enough.

Hope my limited experience helps a bit. Welcome to Audi Forums...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

Don't hate me for saying this, but have you considered the Lexus IS300 (2001-ish)? If you don't need awd and just want a car that's get in and go, you might want to consider it. It's one of those cars that you just put gas and oil and that's it. No replacing all the control arms, no replacing wheel bearings every few years, etc etc adnauseum. The only real issue is styling, some hate it some love it. Just thought I'd throw that out there . It's a glorified corolla, but if you just want a better than average A-B car, it's a good choice.

Edit: I own a 2.8 98.5 30v. Yes there are not worries about turbo self-destructing which seems to happen a lot with stock turbo 1.8s. But!! There's 2 of a lot of things on the 2.8. 2 sets of valve gaskets, 2 sets of cam chain tensioners (which cost up to 3 times as much as 1.8t tensioners). More spark plugs, exhaust headers, gaskets etc. So keep that in mind!

Last edited by theflash; 05-28-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
4th Gear

Wow, just woke up from a horirble dream where someone recommended a Lexus over an Audi...

Oh, wait, it's not a dream... AHHHHHHHH!

You at least could have kept it German and recommended a 3 Series or something... haha!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply brad. I'm not concerned with the headlights as I already plan on upgrading to the led strip style ones. I know some people have said they leak but since I plan on tearing them down for a true bixenon retrofit i'll just seal them better.

26-27 highway with a tune sounds pretty promising though. I'v done alot of lurking and settled on alot of things including upgrading DV and the GIAC chip so swapping out the turbo some where down the line should be easy.

I plan on doing the timing belt kit/tensioner/waterpump/other belts/coolant everything all at once when I find one. Nothing, and I mean Nothing is harder to work on then a Millenia S. It's cramped, its 5 cycles, parts are twice as expensive as audi but 10x harder to find, non-mazda mechanics do more harm then good, and I swear engineers hide razor blades in it to keep you out. To date, no ones changed all 6 spark plugs in under 3 hours. IMO I would rather a B5 that hasn't had it done so I can do it myself and know for a fact its good to go.

Theflash, Lexus.....no. I hate lexus with a firey passion. You couldn't pay me to drive one, toyota/honda same thing. Mazda's are great cars with innovation and passion, Nissan makes good reliable cars with some sport to them. Everything else on the island lacks character. I had a e46 m3 before and spent years on bimmerforums/dtmpower. I settled on an audi because I wanted something with a bit of fun, capable handling, great on the highway and backroads, zero rice factor, and honestly every 16-18y/o in my area goes out and buys a used bmw thinking there the coolest person in the world. I'm extreme anti-rice, anti-ghetto, anti-cookie cutter. I modify my cars so that they are more true to the dreams of its original engineers before a committee of salesmen and lawyers takes over.

Name:  n504059413_1451608_3436.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  jeepplow.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  29.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2165Custom.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  143.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2252Custom.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  67.3 KB
Name:  capsule4.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 PM
4th Gear

To the Forums: It appears we have a true enthusiast on our hands!

Again, welcome. After tinkering around under the hood, I'm sure you will have a wealth of knowledge you'll be able to share with us. Make sure you let us know once you decide on one, and keep us updated with whatever mods you decide to go with!

Again, blauparts.com has the most comprehesive TB kit out there. Check it out, for $270 you can't go wrong with this:
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....d=GH21102%2D1A

Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

Thanks brad. I'v been searching and lurking since I know how annoying it is for noobs to post the same things over and over.

5 bucks to whoever figures out who I post as on JU/MW/HIDplanet/NJ ;-)

I'm liking the RAI kevlar kit, from day 1 everyone talked about the tensioner and belt being a major issue. I'd rather just spend a few more bucks to do something right the first time around and not worry about it for 100k.

I wish in addition to the exterior guide AF had an internal guide of differences. Different gauges, trims pieces, center console/stereo etc. I just really want the gauge cluster from an 00. I can't stand the mechanical clock but most of all the center illumination setup screams mid 1980's bmw 6 series or early 90's alfa romeo. Both of which are fun to own until you remember your the owner and have to fix everything.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by synesthesia
Thanks for the reply, I'm not looking for alot of power nor spending 10-20k in mods on another project. Just something to get 30mpg+ on the highway with small budget for mild styling and performance. Ideally I'd like 200-240hp just to get around without worrying.
LoL, no need to get dramatic bradtyler....maybe I mistakenly read this in Chinese, on my screen it said in English: not a lot of power, 30+ mpg, and "get around without worrying". That is Toyota/Honda, except for the late model dbw Toyotas . Naturally this also means drab/unexciting. You also mentioned you'd rather have 150hp than deal with breaking... I suppose I took that the wrong way? I wouldn't recommend an Audi to someone who wants no-frills and low maintenance. Audi is definitely pay-to-play. You either have the skills to work on Audi's or you potentially fork out the price of the car you just bought in maintenance over a couple years.

Anyhow, your version of driving a car without worrying is definitely different from the masses, so it sounds like you're good for a turbo Audi. Obviously I got a different impression from you.

For the record, I have an Audi, BMW, and a Mazda RX-7. If someone wants economy and ease of ownership(absentee ownership) I wouldn't recommend any of them. If you want power, performance, uniqueness, handling and overall driving pleasure.... that's another story .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lots of B5 questions