B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

low boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Guru
Default low boost

ok, i have apr programing on my 01 1.8t(awm motor)and when i start the car after a long park....... overnight a few hrs after getting somewhere and start it.... it boost's up to normal.... 17is psi

but after driving for a while.... parking say 30 minutes or so and driving more it will only boost to 5-8 psi.... i thought heat soak was occuring so i put back in my factory airbox and filter

well i drove it last night and it was more peppy.... blah blah blah

so i go to take my kids to get their hairs cut today and it is still doing it........

what could this be? stuck waste gate? i do have a n75 race valve and stratosphere dv..... could it be the dv is going bad? n75 going bad? just got the race valve about 6 months or so ago.... the dv was used with about 20,xxx miles on it, i put about 15,xxx more.......

i don't hear a vac leak........ and turbo sounds fine

Old 02-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: low boost

if you have the stock n75, drop it in. If that doesnt fix it, then check the wastegate.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Guru

i was thinking that....... can someone get me a pic of the waste gate.... as i am a newb to turbo motors...... never plaid with that part before

Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm make believe

Yes i know this is a cheap ebay turbo but it shows the wastegate well

Just make sure the arm is tight and there is not visable cracks on the turbine

Old 02-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Guru

ok, i put in the stock n75 and that seems to be the problem...... would a race valve go bad after just about 6 months?

does anyone else offer it besides ecs? anyone else have this problem with their race valve? should i contact them about replacing it, or chalk it up to not always aftermarket is better?

and if it start happening again in a few days i will then look at my wg....... or when i am doing my dp

so morale of the story.... cause i know there seem to be alot of people running into low or no boost...... your n75 might be bad.... might find someone with one around you that you know works and throw it in.... took me all of maybe 10 minutes to switch them out

Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm make believe

I could be fine. Not all chips like all n75's. however, mbc's work with ALL chips. If you want more boost, just look into a bleed style mbc. Turbonetics make a variable boost controller (bleed) that they sell on ebay for like $45

Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Guru

i might get into that when i do my work on the first........ but i have always heard that is it is only giac that doesn't like the race vlave, that apr is fine with it

lol

hey, but thanks for the quick reply, even though i kind of new the answer after asking the question

Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Guru

ok.......i put the stock n75 back in.......thought that fixed the issue

the car will boost to 17is when i first drive it for the day or after an extended stay somewhere, but after the car gets nice and warm, it almost seems like it is going into limp mode, but all the power is there

what i mean by "limp" is it won't boost past say 6 or 7, but it is like i have full power......i don't hear any vac leaks........ any ideas?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

ok.......i put the stock n75 back in.......thought that fixed the issue

the car will boost to 17is when i first drive it for the day or after an extended stay somewhere, but after the car gets nice and warm, it almost seems like it is going into limp mode, but all the power is there

what i mean by "limp" is it won't boost past say 6 or 7, but it is like i have full power......i don't hear any vac leaks........ any ideas?
getting any check lights?

and you should never boost a car as soon as you start it. drive it with out pushing boost for a bit until it warms up. FYI

but tell me one thing..when it hits 6-7psi, is it stable? is the boost gauge needle steady or like bouncing at 6-7psi?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: 1.8TK3MP

getting any check lights?

and you should never boost a car as soon as you start it. drive it with out pushing boost for a bit until it warms up. FYI

but tell me one thing..when it hits 6-7psi, is it stable? is the boost gauge needle steady or like bouncing at 6-7psi?
no check engine light

and i know this........it is a stable needle...........and the only reason i am answering this is cause you are the first to respond, someone else might get something from this

and the fact that it seems like you are trying to actually learn/help

Quick Reply: low boost