B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Lower control arm installed yet still strange sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

I found this video on youtube and its almost identical to the noise i am experiencing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZapb...eature=related

Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 AM
3rd Gear

from that clip that noise would drive me crazy too. There is a lot going on as far as the front suspension is concerned. Shock mounts could be the source of the creak, many replace this when they install new coil-overs, shocks/springs. It could be inner or outer TRE's (tie rod ends) or like I said before upper control arms.

I know you said the mechanic told you the uppers were ok, but I went to Audi and they told me the same thing. I went to 3 more garages and they all told me the uppers were shot, but they are such a pain in the *** to fix they wouldn't work on it even though I would pay them their charge for labor.

I know you stated before you needed to get an alignment. Get an alignment from another garage and see what they say. At this point it will be process of elimination.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

Thanks obnoxiousdrunk, I will definitely tell the guys monday morning to find out what it is and FIX IT!

I will be posting the results.

p.s. my car isnt as bad as the clip, but its the same sound.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

OMG THIS IS EXACTLY HOW IT IS LIKE.

If I push on the back this is the EXACT sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvhN...eature=related

Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear

yeah.....mine did the same exact thing when I pushed down on the front of the car. I bought the whole control arm kit and knocked it out in a weekend. Since then, no noise. I even swapped shocks and springs and no noise. I'm willing to bet you need to replace the upper control arms as well.

Definitely keep me posted

Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

I will def. keep you posted and thanks again for the pointers obnoxiousdrunk. The audi dealership near my town is actually doing FREE SAFETY INSPECTIONS and I am going to go there as well so I am finding out what the hells wrong with my car one way or another!! Just did an oil change today and was told my engine is in excellent shape so I dont feel too bad. Like I said, my cars not as bad as the clips but the sound is similar.

If the guys at the garage that will do the alignment cant figure it out then the audi dealership DEFINITLY can. Now I would go to the dealer first, but I cant go over 45 without the steering shaking.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear

Hope the dealership treats you better than they did me. Is the steering shaking bad due to lack of alignment from the suspension or has it done it before. The shaking may come from the Tie Rod Ends. Ask the shop or Audi to check the inner and outers.

no problem with the pointers.......that's why you and I turn to this wonderful forum!!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
Hope the dealership treats you better than they did me. Is the steering shaking bad due to lack of alignment from the suspension or has it done it before. The shaking may come from the Tie Rod Ends. Ask the shop or Audi to check the inner and outers.

no problem with the pointers.......that's why you and I turn to this wonderful forum!!
well the woman at the service desk was REALLY nice when I went for the recall on the ignition switch.

I think the steering shaking is due to alignment because it had not done that before. But yea, I hope I dont have to buy anything else man I am at the end of the rope. I am giving serious thought into a new car, possibly a 2006 audi 2.0T, but idk i really like what I got now.

& yes, this forum is awesome! you read about other peoples problems and appreciate your audi that much more~~!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear

Had the same problem and it was driving me crazy...
Got whole control arm kit, replaced upper control arms and one tie rod few days ago
Got rid of the sound from the drivers side and a little still coming from the passenger. Had it checked it sounds like lower control arms. Will be putting car on the lift today after work and see what happens. If everything goes well i will post pictures and show you the final job.
I've been told that creaking sound could also come from worn tie rod ends and possibly sway bar links which attaches to your lower control arm. So i would check those also

Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

its your bushings i have never heard suspension squeek like that. My old audi had this kind of squeeking in the back, its very very annoying. I sprayed wd-40 on all the bushing back there and it stopped for a while and thats how i knew for sure it was the bushings. So maybe take a look this way, spray your uppers and lowers just incase see if the squeeking goes away.

Quick Reply: Lower control arm installed yet still strange sound