B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Maybe bent valves, pitted cam lobe, etc...video

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear
Exclamation Maybe bent valves, pitted cam lobe, etc...video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5I2efSpjYo

I'm going to do an oil change and see if that helps. It did this noise right before my cam chain tensioner went out..I'm talking like right as my tensioner went to ****. It actually stopped for a min or so and then picked back up. I shut my car off, did the tensioner, and this is the first time I've ran it in about a month. help....

Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear

Run some slick 50 in the engine u can get it at any auto store

Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

he had some lucas oil treatment in it as well...

I told him drain it, he mentioned over the phone it was over full as is ..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

Dude sounds like itz off timing check the cam chain if itz off a tooth or so

Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 AM
4th Gear

Need to inspect the valves/cams.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear

My thoughts/ experience.

It's hard to tell in the video but I've heard 1.8's a hell of a lot worse then that and they ended up ok so I'm not condemning it yet.

I don't really know the back story, was it just loud so you replaced it? If you got a cheaper tensioner the castings are not good and they jam up. We went through this a couple times on an S4....

If the tensioner is in fact ok then next thing to look at is your oiling. There are several things to look at here. Starting with the pick up screen but generally that will cause a oil pressure light. Next thing would be the little 1 way valve going up to the head. This little valve can get clogged and cause the head to not receive oil or not enough oil. It's not terribly uncommon due to the 1.8's tendency to sludge up.

If it's not one of those well I'm not the expert so this is just what I know hehe. Definitely start with a compression test though. That will tell you a lot. Check your timing marks too. It seems to run pretty smooth just loud though so I'm going to say your valves are probably ok. Worst case scenario the tensioner timing is off.

Hope some of this helps!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

How does it run? I seem to have the same noise. I just had a buddy fix some things on my car as it would run but it would barley move it ran so bad. It had the cam sensor code of P1338 so we replaced the sensor and now the car runs a whole lot better and doesn't cut off. However the car still lacks power and may be in limp mode but I don’t know. My buddy said to drive it a bit and we will check to see if the code comes back cuz if it does it may be the timing or the cam chain off a tooth. He did put some additive in the oil which helped but didn't eliminate the problem.

Also we checked for boost leaks so that is not the reason for power loss. This has been frustrating as no one can see to figure out why it lacks power.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear

If you were off a tooth, you're car would barely idle, much less run, and you would probably bend all the valves. The noise has since gone away. I have a little bit of valve tap when I first start the car but after a min or so when it warms up it runs just amazing. Replacing the tensioner is something that should not be overlooked. If it is making that noise, its time to change it IMO. Don't put that additive stuff in there. I actually had additive in my car and when it sat for about 2-3weeks, it broke my oil down. You should try and fix the problem as opposed to masking it. You can see if you are in limp mode by getting a boost gauge...I would start there.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by joenelson7687
If you were off a tooth, you're car would barely idle, much less run, and you would probably bend all the valves. The noise has since gone away. I have a little bit of valve tap when I first start the car but after a min or so when it warms up it runs just amazing. Replacing the tensioner is something that should not be overlooked. If it is making that noise, its time to change it IMO. Don't put that additive stuff in there. I actually had additive in my car and when it sat for about 2-3weeks, it broke my oil down. You should try and fix the problem as opposed to masking it. You can see if you are in limp mode by getting a boost gauge...I would start there.
Thanks joe! Glad to hear that all is well now. I will be scaning the car again soon to see if I get any other codes. Also I will be changing the oil and will be looking at changing the tentioner ASAP!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

That sounds to me like hydraulic lifter tap. If you haven't run the engine for a long time, there is usually at least one lifter that has pressure on it (one valve being held open by the cam). There can be more...

That pressure helps the oil leak out of the lifter/tappet.

Once you start the car again, it takes a little while for the tappets to fill back up with oil.

This can be expected after a car has been off for a long time. Or at least the saabs and audis i have worked on with hydraulic tappets/lifters.
hth

Quick Reply: Maybe bent valves, pitted cam lobe, etc...video