B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

my first audi i love it butr...............

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 PM
1st Gear
Default my first audi i love it butr...............

hello guys i just purchased a 1998 audi a4 1.8t
110000 miles
front mount intercooler
boost controoller
kn fiilter
greddy aftermarket exhaust
blov off
this is where i bought it from
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1881686502.html

heres the problem i bought the car yesterday for 2600 the guy told me he had replaced the turbo and he even gave me the old turbo ,well when i was on da freeway goin back home i was stepping hard on it and i saw a biggle cloud of bluesmoke .i pull to da side and the car was smoking like crazy on idle ..i let it run and stop smoking ,my cousin was behind me and he said that the smoke would come and go not all the time ...
i called the guy and he said that when he replaced the old turbo a lot of oil felt inside the exhaust that it will go away ..i drove it for 100 miles and the smoke would appear when i would run it hard ..i noticed that when im boosting it will smoke but if am driving normal it wont smoke ..theres oil residue on the tip of the exhasut ..
i called the guy today and told him it will keep smoking but only sometimes and he said his mechanic put thin oil cause of the turbo was new that for me to put ticker oil and it will go away..
i been searching and i read that there could be oil inside the intercooler or probably its coming from the oil he spelt in da exhaust ..
if i start the car it wont smoke at all it only smokes when am driving hard for a long time period ..
boost was set at 1. bar i lower it to 0.5
any help would be appreciated...

oiil level seems fine

Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 AM
4th Gear

If it was just oil they put on it you would see that all the time, not just when you go WOT and the turbo is spooling. Sounts like the turbo is leaking, you might need to put another one in or see if the one he gave you is actually the good turbo and he never changed it out.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

is it just me or was this audi on its way to being riced out????

Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

yeah i hate the front bumper ..i need a stock one he even painted the fmic red .the interior its really clean and only 110000 miles
today i was driving normal and i didnt see no smoke but theres still oil residue on the tip of the exhaust.
the turbo dat he gave me its the bad one cause has a broken shaft ..
im pretty sure its the turbo cause if i dont step on it hard it wont smoke at all..i also noticed that there was only water on coolant reservoir not fluid..

where can i geta turbo and also how do i check if this one its bad

Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

cause i know if the motor its bad it would smoke all the time right

Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

i save this beauty for being rice out lol

where can i find a used front bumper and i hood grill.
did i get a good deal ?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

also the service insp stays on everytime i start da car but just for few seconds

Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

also when i first got the car the boost gauge would read 1.bar isnt that too much ..
when i got to my house i removed the vacuum from boost controller and put them together i wouldnt get any readings ..
one was coming from manifold and the other one from bov i think ..i put them together and da car wasnt boosting

Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 AM
4th Gear

1 bar is normal boost level for a aftermarket chip, some of them even run up to 16psi and I my custom K03 chip ran 26psi.

First off the Boost controller does not go on the same line as the BOV and it doesn't connect to the intake manifold. The boost controller goes on the same vac lines that the N75 valve uses. It should connect to the vac line that goes to the turbo compressor housing and the other side goes to the WG actuator which is mounted to the turbo compressor housing.

A boost controller put on the vac line that goes from the intake manifold and BOV isn't going to do anything but screw up you car.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

damn so i should removed the boost controller and install it with the turbo vacuum lines and then where do i i put the one coming from the manifolds.thanks for ur help

Quick Reply: my first audi i love it butr...............