B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

my timing belt broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: my timing belt broke

^^^ How easy is it to "rebuild" the head? I don't think you can machine the head yourself? With bent valves, you'll need new valve guides and what ever else that could be damaged(Machining actual head damage). I think what the average Do-It-Yourselfer can only do is take off the head and take it to a shop to get "rebuilt". Am I wrong with my thinking?

I might be in this situation where I buy an A4 with a bad motor due to the timing belt, and will repair what ever is damaged to either keep the car or resale it.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

When I picked up my car from the shop yesterday, the tech was in the middle of tearing apart a passat that had the TB break and all the valves were bent. but it was cool to see the engine all tore apart.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: lvevo

^^^ How easy is it to "rebuild" the head? I don't think you can machine the head yourself? With bent valves, you'll need new valve guides and what ever else that could be damaged(Machining actual head damage). I think what the average Do-It-Yourselfer can only do is take off the head and take it to a shop to get "rebuilt". Am I wrong with my thinking?

I might be in this situation where I buy an A4 with a bad motor due to the timing belt, and will repair what ever is damaged to either keep the car or resale it.
You are right. Everything needs to be done at a machine shop and you need special tools to remove the valves and reinstall the head.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:29 PM

after speaking to the service manager at Audi of Westwood, explaining my situation, going to school for automotive and working at a shop, he told me any special tools i need i can borrow and return, or bring what ever part needs a special tool to the shop i could use things. he also is going to give me a tech manual next week.

Going to UTI has its advantages as well. there are a few instructors there that have worked for audi, and we have alot of tools and experiance at our whim. as far as machining goes, im sure what ever needs tobe machined i can have it done at a local shop. the timing belt broke at idle, so i doubt there is any major piston damage. only time and disassembly will tell.

Dom

Old 05-31-2008, 11:03 AM
4th Gear

Before you do anything, I would contact Audi of America district rep. Timing belt shouldn't fail at 85K miles.

The fact that they give a mileage in the manual(not sure what itis for your year)at which it should be replaced, is almost an "implied warranty" that it should last that long. If they are having lots of failures at 85K, then they should have a TSB that the belts should be changed at a lesser mileage.

A good lawyer could have lots of fun with this.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

^^^ Your so right. There are many attorney that only work on claims like this.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

Speaking of timing belts. My audi a4 1.8t quattro has 104 000 miles. I drive normally and dont race everyday. When do i change it?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 AM
4th Gear

25K miles ago! HAHA. If you haven't change it ASAP!!!!!!!! They say not to go past 100K or 90K I can't remember right now.

Josh

Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

Dude , I could swear i ve read it somewhere to change at 120000

Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM

does anyone else reccomend i contact an attorney? i would much rather not spend all this money...i mean, im sure im still gonna get slammed by the lawyer, but all the while it just doesnt seem right that it failed so early...

Dom

Quick Reply: my timing belt broke