B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help asap plz.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Need help asap plz.

K so here's the story.

Park my car for a month. Battery goes dead, so I boost it. Its idling fine, p1545 tb code. Fair enough, so I order up a VDO tb just to make sure its not goin to mess up again. Put the new tb in, same deal. p1545. So i get my mechanic to stop by with his vag-com to give it a quick allignment. Apparently since I boosted the car the tb and the ecu aren't "talking" anymore, because even vag couldn't do a damn thing to help. Anyone ever have/and solve this problem before. Car idles fine, but it can't hold rpms, just keeps falling back to idle and then goes back up again. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have 2 people looking to buy my ride as soon as its running.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need help asap plz.

All the guru's on vacation or somethin??

bumpiddy bump

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 AM
3rd Gear

try info in this thread: https://www.audiforums.com/m_867479/tm.htm

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
3rd Gear

the response will be slow on the forum... a lot of us can't post more than a sentence.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Bumpity bump.

Vag can't do an allignment. Tried disconnecting the abs module and running vag but made no difference. Vag can tell if its closed or partial throttle, but won't read % open, so essentially it just keeps bouncing back and forth between partial and closed under any throttle other than idle. going to try and swap in a different ecu and see if that help. never knew boosting a car could make such a mess, lovely german engineering. if anyone knows anything that could help please let me know.

thanks
Josh

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

Jumping a car with the keys in the ignition can fry a number of components. Or even worse... if you cross the cables...

An easy test is to swap the ECM, if you have access to one, but you may have to contend with immobilizer headaches.

Since the car was parked for a month, have you seen signs of mice? Look in the airbox and cowl areas. Check the resistance through the wires from the TB to the ECM.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Site Moderator

It's common to get a TB fault code after the battery has been discharged/jumped. Sometimes they are stubborn and wont go away until you do multiple throttle body alignments. That has been my personal experience.
It would be wise to investmentto buy amultimeter to diagnose electronics before buying parts just because a fault code indicates a problem with said part. If people replaced parts soley based on fault codes, ther'd be a lot of people in the poor house.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

If only I could do an allignment lol

Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Site Moderator

Pretty simple. Do it with vag com, or turn your key to the ON positon (without starting and without touching the gas pedal) and wait a few mins. Do this multiple times and try to clear the fault code each time. If that fails, try to find out the proper testing procedure w/a multi meter.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Oh I know that part. Its just that Vag won't read my TB. Every time it tries to do an alignment it just says error. I've phoned pretty much every audi/vw mechanic in the province and no one has a clue whats happening to it. I was hoping someone here had gone through the exact same thing, no luck so far tho.

Quick Reply: Need help asap plz.