B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help, Secondary Air Pump stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 PM

It is the relay that is right by the ecu, its a gray little box.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:46 AM

hey guys
I have what i think is a SAP problem or maybe not i'm not to sure. when i start my car i get a loud squelch and i think its the SAP but i'm not to sure, it ramps down after about 30 sec, and only does it when its cold. any ideas?

Old 09-25-2009, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

First off, thanks to all of you who have posted about this topic on here. I have had my 2000 a4 1.8t for a month shy of four yearsnow, and about 10 months into having it (sometime in 2006) I got a CEL. I took my car to one of my buddies who had a vagcom and he pulled a code which was p0411. I seriously haden't even taken a second thought to it for over 3 years because it starts and runs great and passes emissions without any problem. Last week I decided to look further into it and thanks to a lot of reading on this forum and my service manual I discovered several broken, chafed, and cracked vacuum lines in the engine bay most important of which was the one that goes from the vacuum switch to the SAIP vacuum check valve which was completly broken in two. I replaced those and determined that the check valve which controls the flow of air into the exhaust manifold was working fine but the pump would not run. So thanks to the pictures of the relay and fuse near the ecu I found that that fuse was blown, replaced it with the 40A cooling fan fuse (just to test) and it came right on. Having a checker right down the streed I went over there got 8 feet of vacuum hose, a new 40A fuse and had them reset my CEL. Now my CEL is extinguished and you can hear the SAIP spool up for about 30 sec to a minute after a cold start then kick off as the idle speed decreases. Thanks again for all the info.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

First things first, this is my first post as I'm a brand new member to the audi world. soo..umm..HI!. I just bought a used 1998 a4 2.8 quattro 5-speed. the second day I had it, the SAIP started going crazy, did my research and found this topic and its advice VERY useful as its cured my relay issue like a charm. YAY! no dead battery for me lol. you guys rock, thx again.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

Good to know that helped. My problem now is i keep getting a CEL and it shows insufficient SAP flow on both banks. I've replaced all the vacuum hoses and the CEL light will come back on after a few hundred miles after I reset the light.

When start first starting the car when its cold, the engine sounds like a jet engine (loud roaring) running for about 30 seconds before the noise dies down. I also get a strong engine smell coming into the interior of the car when sitting at idle at a stop light. I found the source of the smell is is coming from the vacuum regulator/pump area near the where it attaches to the front part of the intake manifold.

Can anyone give me some help hear?

Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM
1st Gear
Default CEL just won't go away

I read through the posts on this link and have been dealing with a similar issue. 6 Months ago I had a faulty relay that was causing the air pump to stay on even with the engine off which killed the battery. Had a tech pull the secondary air pump relay and clean it out, put it back in and the air pump would not turn on without reason. I thought problem solved but the CEL is still there even after two resets.

My car, 2003 A4 Cab, has a gas smell when it first turns on, but is good after that. I have had tech's look all over for a problem but nothing. They didn't have the full testers that the dealer has but I'd prefer to solve myself. The techs think they would find the problem if the engine is cold at start up.

I am thinking about replacing the secondary air pump relay all together, but is this likely to solve my CEL problem? I need to get smog check soon and could use some advice.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:24 AM
1st Gear

Our Audi is a 2001.5 2.8Q A4 and the engine smell comes in when at idle at a stop regardless if the engine is warm or cold. I'm going to try putting another SAP blower in and I'll let you know how that works.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Remove that SAI crap. You'll need the Integrated Engineering blockoff plate (or something similar) and your ECU to be tuned - I had mine tuned by k0mpressd for cheap. No more SAI in my car and no CEL either.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Remove that SAI crap. You'll need the Integrated Engineering blockoff plate (or something similar) and your ECU to be tuned - I had mine tuned by k0mpressd for cheap. No more SAI in my car and no CEL either.
Can't remove SAI because it's it won't pass Calif. smog test without it

Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

How do you check this relay (373) by itself?

Quick Reply: Need help, Secondary Air Pump stays on