B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help. She shut off and wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Default Need help. She shut off and wont start.

So, I have been having this problem with my 97 a4 quattro 1.8t automatic. As I was driving home my car started making a kind of knocking noise. I was about to pull off and my car shutoff almost as if it stalled out. I pulled it over and everything looked ok. Tried starting it but it wouldn't even attempt to turn over. It makes kind of a whiney noise. The timing belt seems to be ok and all the fuses are ok. Any help is apreciated.

Thank you,
Ben.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Actual WIZARD

What were your gauges reading? CEL's, other warning gauges?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Site Moderator

Get your ecu scanned for faults and post back!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

it wont even crank you said? didn't this happen to (Imthedevil) like a couple of day's ago he had the same thing happen to him, car just stalled.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Site Moderator

knocking, then stall, then it whines as you are attempting to start it? This sounds exactly like a snapped timing belt and/or broken timing belt tensioner. How did you check the timing belt?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM

My cousin is a mchanic and checked it he said it looked good and turned or moved. I'm gonna get it scanned hopefully today so I'll post back if anything pops up. And when it stalled the whole dash lit up as if the key was in the on position but not on yet. I dont remember any loud noises or anything sudden like that I did have to radio on and didnt realize it turned off until I tried to turn it.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Forgot to ask what did ImTheDevil do to fix it? And if he posted here can I get a link please.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 PM
4th Gear

Jeremy's (ImtheDevil) died but would still crank, he thinks he had a problem with the fuel pump. You said a mechanic looked at it? I was thinking maybe your alternator belt may have broke, but the mechanic would have seen that. It could be your alternator has gone bad, and the battery finally drained to the point where the car couldn't run, and obviously wouldn't be able to crank. Just food for thought.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 PM

The only problem I see with that, I'm not a mechanic or anything but the battery isnt dead. I accidentally left the keys in the car on the on position after it got towed for about 9 hours and it was still on. But, I don't know how much power is drown from the engine and everything else. I will mention it to my cousin (the mechanic). Thank you for the input.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

Yea imthedevil had a fuel pump problem but it's hard to diagnose your problem but you said you heard a knocking noise coming from the engine so we can assume it's a fuel problem but you also said that the car wont even turn over this is a new one i have never heard of this. This would make a clear assumption that your starter went out also 0___0 at the same time really highly doubtful maybe your starter is stuck or dirty hit over the head a couple of time's to see if it will crank (dont worry worst thing that can happen hear is you snapped the timing belt and you bent your valves)-----sarcasm BTW how many mile's or your car?

Quick Reply: Need help. She shut off and wont start.