B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need immediate brake help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
4th Gear
Default need immediate brake help

well after spending about 200 or so on new snub projector lights and xenon i get a nasty surprised when i get to school today, my freakin right front caliper is seized on good and worn teh hell out of pad and now is scoring the **** out of my rotor. i already ordered a new calipr, pads and rotor but what i need to know is can i still make it home and drive to work on the weekend. i plan to replace everthing by monday or tuesday when the stuff comes in, today wheni get home om gonna try to free the calper but its toast. there goes another 120 of my hard earned money, but hell i drive a damn good looking 12v

Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: need immediate brake help

freaky,I just rebuilt all of my brakesdue to the same one seizing on me. You'll need to rebuild the caliper, don't cheap out... it's your freaking brakes. call your local audi dealer (dealer specific parts!) and buy a rebuild kit, which will have the piston gasket and dust boot, and get a set of caliper bushings and silicone grease while you're at it. it'll be around $60 in parts.

tear the whole caliper down, check the piston for corrosion, and rebuild it all. fromall the heat from being seized up, it's best to just replace the bushings and regrease them while everything is torn down. i noticed on teardown that things weren't moving very freely on the slide bolts... took about an hour, 140psi, and alot of wd40 andPB blaster to get the seized piston out.

i have to say, it made a huge differance in my stock brake stopping power. turns out my brakes are great, the parts were jsut worn as hell... GL to ya, it's about an hour job per caliper you rebuild if you'rve got everything together to do the work.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Oh, and don't drive on it.... not if it's locked down hard enought to be killing the rotor.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
4th Gear

well i drove it home, the pad (ebc greenstuff) is burned to hell and the caliper only seemed to lock up once or twice onteh ride home so for the next few days i guess im bumming rides or borrowing my dads or sisters car. i just ordered a new caliper its like 120with the core chargei get 50 back when i return my old one, new PBR ceramic pads and a new OEM rotor, i just need the stuff to get here. then i need to paint the new caliper because one will be nice and shiny and the other used. not that i dont like working on my car but im getting tired of buying and replaceing old worn out parts on an old car, maybe its time to retire her and get a 1.8t.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

I feel ya, a remanufactred caliper is definately easier in your situation... being that you're at school. I will say this though, if you're looking to buy a 1.8t for MONEY reasons the mod bug makes that a less financially reasonable car overall than the 12v you're already driving. If it's for reliability/resale reasons then sel. itand get something newer.

If i didn't love to wrench AND have a new car in the garage for a fallback, i wouldn't be daily driving my 190k mile 12v audi.

Best of luck on everything,
Ryan