B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need new bushings in front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Need new bushings in front end

Im Getting ready to order all the parts to change all bushings, tie-rod ends, and sway bar end links. I do want to put good quality parts and also wanted to know if its possible to get urethane bushings. My car is a AWD 1.8T model. Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old 05-04-2014, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Chipper
Im Getting ready to order all the parts to change all bushings, tie-rod ends, and sway bar end links. I do want to put good quality parts and also wanted to know if its possible to get urethane bushings. My car is a AWD 1.8T model. Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Have you considered buying a kit? Much easier to replace the whole shebang than to try to press out bushings etc. Lots of good kits on the market.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Pick up Meyle's 12 piece Heavy Duty control arm kit and be done.

http://www.europaparts.com/control-a...0my-meyle.html

Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

I'd buy Febi over Meyle, but a kit is definitely the way to go. The ball joints wear out too and they're not replaceable. Don't get poly bushings unless it's a track car, and even then you'd lose a bit of suspension movement and steering angle since the stock bushings flex a ton at the limit while poly bushings can't.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

I just read another threw about Febi and the guy wasn't impressed at all with the kit or I mite be mistaking companies. I will definitely look into a complete kit and not just separate parts. And Mad Cow I will stay away from poly bushings, thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

I just read another threw about Febi and the guy wasn't impressed at all with the kit or I mite be mistaking companies. I will definitely look into a complete kit and not just separate parts. And Mad Cow I will stay away from poly bushings, thanks for the heads up!
I used a Meyle kit and all seems well. Nice and tight and much improved ride. Good luck. Make sure you torque at ride height. Very important.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

You can take my febi for shipping. I've changed 6 of 8 so far with lemforder. Maybe I got a bum kit but I doubt it. Only reason I've not swapped out the last one is because I'll have to drop the shock mount to get the bolt out.. At least mine drive right now.
Get lemforder do it once and be done

Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear

I've heard more bad stories about Meyle than Febi, that's why I say that. My car currently has Febi arms with a date code of '06 and they still have at least another year before I have to replace them, so they definitely can last. At this rate it seems they'll last just as long as the OEM arms did on my car. Remember that nobody starts a thread about how their control arm kit went on perfectly and lasted years.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
I've heard more bad stories about Meyle than Febi, that's why I say that. My car currently has Febi arms with a date code of '06 and they still have at least another year before I have to replace them, so they definitely can last. At this rate it seems they'll last just as long as the OEM arms did on my car. Remember that nobody starts a thread about how their control arm kit went on perfectly and lasted years.
Well my Meyle stuff went on without a hitch so now let's see how long the stuff lasts. So far so good.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by smittylube
You can take my febi for shipping. I've changed 6 of 8 so far with lemforder. Maybe I got a bum kit but I doubt it. Only reason I've not swapped out the last one is because I'll have to drop the shock mount to get the bolt out.. At least mine drive right now.
Get lemforder do it once and be done
I spoke to one of the local shops I deal with for my VW/Audi stuff and he buys Lemforder (pretty sure that's the name he told me) and told me that's the only one he sells and can have it same day at the shop for me but its pretty pricey but hey has installed around 50 kits now and no complaints yet. So Im going to go with that kit.

Thanks everyone for the tips, its greatly appreciated!!