B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

need some help on oil pan crack

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
1st Gear
Default need some help on oil pan crack

hi, guys i am new to this website, and i hope i can get some help on my 2000 a4 quattro 1.8t due to an incident happened at firestone complete auto care. I took my car there to do a routine oil change, but they cracked my oil pan because the noob tech over tighten the drain plug. anyways, let me get back to topic, so when i replace oil pan on my car, do i need to also replace the gasket and the baffle? anyone with experience please give me some advice all helps will be appreciated thanks!

Tim

Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear

****, if Firestone broke it take to the dealer, get it fixed then send them the bill. Make them pay for the tow too.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
y^0
1st Gear

i agree that firestone should pay for their stupid mistakes, but if bad goes to worse and you do need to change the oil pan yourself, yes, you will need a new gasket for it.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear

You can use Permatex Ultra Black RTV sealant (or Loctite's equivalent - not sure the part number) as a gasket.

Firestone should definitely be paying for this, even if you have to threaten them with court. Talk to their district manager if the shop manager won't help.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-03-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

thanks for all the response guys, so i need a gasket, but do i need a baffle thou? oh and yeah i went to talk to them, but the district manager came in and look at the crack, and said there are scratches under the drain plug where the crack is, so he cant be sure its their fault, so he told me he can put on a new oil pan for me if i paid for the parts, and he cant do anything else other than that. i even went to VW dealer (since we dont have an audi dealer here in lubbock), they said the crack is right at the drain plug there is no other explanation. anyways, i attached 2 pix off my phone sorry about the quality btw. and honestly this has never happened to me before, so i dont really know what to do, dont know if its worthy to find a lawyer and fight. sigh, if anything, i just see it as lesson, and make sure you tell your friends and family not to go there. firestone apparently has been known for screwing ppl over, been seeing alot of complains online after what i been through.

Last edited by 4ringcrazy; 03-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Slut

Can't see your pics cuz your profile is private. Try Photobucket or embed them in the post. I have an extra oil pan for a 1.8 FYI

Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear

Well, you have three options:

-Suck it up
-Threaten him with a lawsuit (do threaten before doing it)
-Threaten that you'll take it to the press (or just do it)

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM
y^0
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
You can use Permatex Ultra Black RTV sealant (or Loctite's equivalent - not sure the part number) as a gasket.

Firestone should definitely be paying for this, even if you have to threaten them with court. Talk to their district manager if the shop manager won't help.
ahhh, so you dont actually need a new gasket so long as you have rtv sealant.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Default update

sorry the pix didnt work, i edited, now it should be ok now, and thanks for all the input, let me know what you think after you seen the pic

Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by y^0
ahhh, so you dont actually need a new gasket so long as you have rtv sealant.
I wouldn't recommend just any RTV, but rather high temperature, high strength, oil resistant stuff like what I recommended.

Quick Reply: need some help on oil pan crack