B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to Audi!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Default New to Audi!!!

Hello, I am brand new to Audi. Actually, several of my best friends all drive Audi's. One has an A8 S8 and an A6, one has an A4 2.8 and one has an A6 2.8.
Anyway... I am seriously contemplating buying an Audi and I can use some guidance. I have been doing research on this forum which is a very good forum for info!!
Here are the specs of the car. I looked at it and test drove it today...
1998 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
127K miles, 5 speed
New Stage 2 clutch
Starter was just replaced.
Sunroof was just greased and serviced.
Cross drilled rotors all around
Perrelli Tires with really nice Audi wheels.
Color is a bright metallic red/cranberry color. It is absolutely beautiful.
Body is in beautiful condition except for a nice dent on the passenger rear quarter. It is cosmetic only but its a sold $1000.00 repair.
Car is optioned out with everything except for leather.
Power sunroof
Alarm
Borla Exhaust front to back. The rear as twin Borla tips.
Interior is mint.
Except for the dent in the rear quarter.. it looks like a new car.
The engine bay was in extremely clean condition. It looks better than some 3 year old cars I have seen.
The underside of the car looks brand new. No rust, no issues. Very very clean.

What does the car need?.....
Both corner marker lens are missing. They were stolen while the car was in a parking lot last week.
Check engine light is on because the #3 coil pack needs to be replaced. The car has a miss when you really get on it. Besides that.. it drives like a new car.
I also notice that the brakes pulsed at very low speeds when applied. It almost felt like ABS but it was slower. Besides that .. the car brakes incredible.
I also noticed that the Stage 2 clutch grabbed on the high side. The owner told me that this is normal for Audi. It was a very high performance feeling clutch. There was very little free play in it. After 5 minutes of driving it though I was shifting it smoothly.
There was a slight drip from the rear corner from the valve cover onto the exhaust that spoked a tiny bit. It was extremely minor.
Drivers side mirror glss was discoloring around the edges.
Lower body molding clips were starting to separate.
We did a carfax on it and nothing came up unusual. Just basic routine maintence and inspections.
Besides the carfax.. there is no other detailed info on this car in regards to repairs. I am VERY concerned about what I have read online regarding the timing belt and tensioner. I read about a class action suit where Audi agreed to pay for any timing belt/tensioner repairs on 1.8T B5 cars with under 105K on them. I don't know if there is any way to tell if the timing belt and tensioner were done on this 127K mile car. The owner agreed to take it to Audi tomorrow and have them run the vin # to see if they can determine if the belt and tensioner were done. I called around about a timing belt and tensioner job and its too expensive for me to pay for after I purchase the car.
Could an Audi mechanic determine if the belt and tensioner were changed without dismantling the motor? If I could get the car for $3K as is would that be considered a good deal? I figure that the timing belt and tensioner /water pump and new belts and coolant is going to run me $750.00 to have somebody do it. The coil pack is $100.00. The corner markers are $180.00 for the pair and the valve cover gasket will probably run me $50.00 to fix myself. Then.. there is the dent in the quarter which will run about $1000.00 to repair and blend in. That would bring the car up to around $5000.00
I was prepared with the issues from what I read. The drivers side view mirror issue, the lower body molding issue, the sunroof issue are all common to this car.
My biggest concern is the timing belt/tensioner though. Based on the overall look and feel of this car and the fact that it has 127K on it I will find it extremely hard to believe it if the timing belt and tensioner were not replaced.
What do you guys suggest and of course.. I thank you for your time and responses.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM

I read many of the threads regarding my questions.
I guess from the lack of any responses and the fact that the 1998 1.8T Audi A4 appears to be an extremely unreliable car plagued with weekly repairs I will have to pass on this car.
The guy only wants $3K for it but I guess thats entirely too much money for such an unreliable car. My friends that drive them never seem to have any problems. One of them has 240K on a 1986 A6 and has done no motor work to it at all.