B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

new to audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
1st Gear
Default new to audi

im new to this forum and audi's my names jerry and im from this long island place some were in new york lol

so i just wrote this really long and extensivly detailed post about the audi i just bought and i went to preview post n it didnt show up only a white screen so i pressed back and everything i wrote was gone FML

its a 98 1.8tq with 172,xxx on it i got it for 1800 neeeds work tho ..its got new water pump and timing belt done a month ago..... but every damn light in the cluster is on check engine due to the test pipe, air bag, abs, and then the brake light blinks and it needs new front bearings badly witch i just bought and new pads and rotors all around, shifter feels sloopy and when my hand is on it and im in and out of the throttle it feels like its ganna pop out of gear tho it doesnt, every damn coolent hose leaks at the clamp location i guess the stock ones need to be swapped for some good hose clamps, the drain plug seems to be hanging halfway out of the motor and the oil dipstick thats in there just doesnt seem to go with this car lol.. and the moonroof opend and then wouldnt close it made all sorts of noises after 30 min of trying n forcing it shut it closed.... and the window lock and door lock switch does not work...

any help is appriciated

heres 2 pics i took of her today on my way out the door to work ill post more info about the car after i get home from work and the gym

Name:  2010-05-1811_49_09.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  47.9 KB
Name:  2010-05-1811_49_23.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

you got some electrical gremlins going in there and the **** ones are the worst lol

Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

with the moonroof yes with the lights no i think there actully trying to tell me something lol but that was quite funny.... cuz it sure as hell drove ok doing 55 on the way home with the bearing screming there lil ***** off

im trying to find some one local with a vagcom... i downloaded the lite version i guess or w.e was free but i didnt get a cable ither that or ill wait till i fix the bearings then hook it up to the 4000 dollar snap on scanner at work

also i just rememberd the temp guage for coolent wasnt working the whole ride home then while sitting at a light revving it pretty hard it all of a sudden started working .... maybe the plug on the sender is loose or ...???

Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

hey man, welcome to the AF and welcome to the brotherhood! car looks real clean on the outside.. i see you got a laundry list, but i assure you, get these things cleaned up one at a time and youll love these cars..

im gunna try to address some issues and give you some feedback on the things im fimiliar with.. first off the check engine due to your test pipe is a common issue once one is put it.. there are two options..im sure somewhre hopefull someone can chime in, there is a DIY on spacing out your 02 sensors on your testpipe so that they read correctly, otherwise, since you are a 1.8t.. id get chipped, and if you do that with APR like i have, there is a code out for the test pipe that gets rid of the check engne light.. but i know there are more important things to do first than modding.. and if you havnt already read the sticky notes at the top of the B5 forum if you havnt aleady, there is a wealth of knowledge there for our cars..

the abs light and the brake light blinking indicates you have an ABS module problem.. either the module isnt working anymore, or is having trouble talking to the ECU.. in any event, youll need to have that module rebuilt or replaced.. replacing it is very costly, and there is a company that rebuilds these modules at a fraction of the cost (i wanna say around 3-4 hundred dollars) that should hopefully fix the issue..

as for the sunroof.. there is also a DIY on taking the dome light cover off, and bending up the contacts and cleaning them with alcohol, my sunroof when i first got my car would open and close on its own and just by doing that little simple DIY i fixed the problem and havnt had any issues since..

ill look for the Audi DIY page and see if i can post the link, but in the mean time hopefully someone else can post it on here for you.. other than that goodluck and enjoy your car =)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

and the coolant thing might be a coolant temp sensor issue, also very common on these cars..

Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Guru

audidiy.com

if you can solder you can fix your own abs module

Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Ok, first off welcome! This is actually my first reply on here, this site has helped me so much with troubleshooting and its my turn to give something back, so here goes...

Let me start by saying get a Vag Com cable and the free rosstech software, mine was $30 off ebay, the one i have that works great, however you can pay $200 for the real one from ross-tech.com that has some more capabilities supposedly but mine does everything plus more than I need it to.

So with that in hand...

1. once Audis approach ten years old the Air bag light comes on to be inspected/replaced, the vag com will clear the code. I did it on my moms new 1998 A6 and its bee off for a couple months now.

2. An ABS light w/ blinking brake 99 percent of the time means the ABS module is shot, The dealer will charge upwards of a thousand dollars to replace it but you can remove it and send it to be rebuilt for approx $400.

3. The fuse box by the drivers door has a manual moon roof handle attachment, it looks like a bent allen wrench i think, like half of a **** symbol.

4. As for the door lock problems the Vag-com will be able to communicate with the module to help you identify the problem, maybe some electrical failure or switch problem.

Dont be intimidated by it being a "****" ie german car, all cars have electrical issues one time or another, but with the right tools and a little time it can all be fixed.

to get everything back to normal I estimate youll need 7-900 bucks total

Hope this helps

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

well thank u for chiming in... the outside is quite clean actully lil messed up on the pas side but just a ding ill show it tom. and yep im trying one at a time...

02 sensor- thats at the top of the list lol needs an inspection when i put it on the road... the spacing thing i may need to search for sounds like my best bet........... tune will be done by unitronics at waterfest in july at englishtown hopefully

abs module- i also found some info on that and figured that was it but i wanna scan it and make sure could just be the guy b4 me let the brakes get low and the light isnt reseting and the abs sensor could be bad some were if not im sure i can find some one parting a car and get that module way cheaper no ?

sunroof- i read that diy just didnt save it ill look for it again but its not that it didnt try to go back it did but with some horrid clicking noises lol

and thank you again for ur input and as for modding i donno were it will go as u can tell by one of the pictures i got my animal a 468 aluminum headed piston rods camed goodness in a 67 camaro so the audi is the daily driven fun toy it is lowerd but its scary the oil pan is like 3 inches from the ground and the front lip is missing i want it back but prolly get ripped off again i need something bigger then those stock wheels i like not having fender gap but i dont wanna rip my motor out going over a speed bump im highly interested in this thing
http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=375

Originally Posted by osin34
hey man, welcome to the AF and welcome to the brotherhood! car looks real clean on the outside.. i see you got a laundry list, but i assure you, get these things cleaned up one at a time and youll love these cars..

im gunna try to address some issues and give you some feedback on the things im fimiliar with.. first off the check engine due to your test pipe is a common issue once one is put it.. there are two options..im sure somewhre hopefull someone can chime in, there is a DIY on spacing out your 02 sensors on your testpipe so that they read correctly, otherwise, since you are a 1.8t.. id get chipped, and if you do that with APR like i have, there is a code out for the test pipe that gets rid of the check engne light.. but i know there are more important things to do first than modding.. and if you havnt already read the sticky notes at the top of the B5 forum if you havnt aleady, there is a wealth of knowledge there for our cars..

the abs light and the brake light blinking indicates you have an ABS module problem.. either the module isnt working anymore, or is having trouble talking to the ECU.. in any event, youll need to have that module rebuilt or replaced.. replacing it is very costly, and there is a company that rebuilds these modules at a fraction of the cost (i wanna say around 3-4 hundred dollars) that should hopefully fix the issue..

as for the sunroof.. there is also a DIY on taking the dome light cover off, and bending up the contacts and cleaning them with alcohol, my sunroof when i first got my car would open and close on its own and just by doing that little simple DIY i fixed the problem and havnt had any issues since..

ill look for the Audi DIY page and see if i can post the link, but in the mean time hopefully someone else can post it on here for you.. other than that goodluck and enjoy your car =)

Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 PM

Oh and for the ebay vag com ebay search Vag com cable, select US only and get the one that comes from Boston MA, theres a lot of crappy china ones but mine has been wonderful

Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CentauriA6
Oh and for the ebay vag com ebay search Vag com cable, select US only and get the one that comes from Boston MA, theres a lot of crappy china ones but mine has been wonderful

for the cable or the whole program?