B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to audi, always had a honda/toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 PM
1st Gear
Default New to audi, always had a honda/toyota

Hello everyone. I always had a honda/toyota my entire life. Always 4 cylinder engines. I have decent knowledge on working on cars.

I needed an all wheel drive car and either it was a used subaru or a used audi. I decided to buy a used audi from a private party. Its a 1998 audi a4 v-6 5spd quattro. Car is nice but it has a few problems and I have A LOT of questions and have been searching the web as of late.

First, this sounds so "newbie" of a question but what oil is recommended? I am noticing that many people when they talk of audi a4's they seem to be geared towards the 1.8 turbo engine which mines is not. Is 10w-40 correct? Will mobile one synthetic do?

Also, when I buy a car, I will go change out the alternator, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, water pump, thermostat and other stuff. This is not going to be that easy I can see. Yikes!

I am not into racing but I like to do what I can to make my car's last long as possible. I don't know how to modify cars but I am fairly knowledgeable on repairing cars.

I am hoping to get this car ready for winter (I bought it solely to go snowboarding during the winter) so I will work on it whenever I am not at work. Is there sort of "check" or maintenance I need to do for the quattro system?

I made a bold move buying something outside what I worked on but I think I can afford to take the risk.

Few other questions I have is if the 1.8T and 2.8L a4's only differ by its engine only on the 1998 models? Could someone give a me rundown of what "models" are compatible with the 2.8L (I need a headlight from pick n pull for example). I am assuming that any and all 116-2001 A4's are the same besides the engine. Is this correct?

Also, I have one code showing up... p0116 the coolant temp is in its normal "middle" with no flucuations with driving. I am hoping its the ECT because im reading to change the thermostat is one crazy b!

My gauge LCD display is not working as well. Are they hard to replace/change out?

Thanks anyone and everyone!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 AM
2nd Gear

Here's everything you need to know right here:

Audi A4 1.8T Tuning Guide - mostly still applicable to your V-6

and

AudiDIY.com Audi B5 A4 Do It Yourself Articles

G/L with everything and welcome to the forum.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

Let me start by saying, I've only owned my audi for a year so don't take what I say as scripture. The other people around here will be able to answer your questions 10x better than I, but I will try to shed some light on some of your questions to get you started:

re oil: How many miles on the car? I was under the impression that the oil type/brand was important early in the cars life but going on 150k+, as long as you used decent oil and changed it often, it was fine. My car (1999 A4 quattro) sits at 160k and I use M1 10w-40.

re: timing belt/etc.: Yes, from what I gather, the timing belt/water pump/thermostat change is a big hassle. I bought mine with the guy having just done that (thank god) so I have not needed to. There's a million youtube videos and walkthroughs to help you though. I've looked at them and while it seems like a long job, it doesn't seem terribly tough. Someone with your experience shouldn't have a problem.

re quattro "check": beats me. I guess I should probably know this too...

re comparisons: Audi did an upgrade in the 1998 year (as well as other years), so I don't think it's wise to say that anything from that year is compatible with your car. AudiWorld Tech Articles

re coolant: audi, as you may know, is very strict about their cooling systems. I hope it's something small but it may be the thermo, in which case you'll have that whole timing belt/water pump/thermo repair coming up.

re LCD: A famous issue. You can send it in to some place to get it changed (for $200 or so) or if you are electronically minded and can operate a soldering iron well, do it yourself (after purchasing a new screen from china for $50). Personally, I've just learned to live without it.