B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New to Boosted/Audi, Introductions and I NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM
1st Gear
Default New to Boosted/Audi, Introductions and I NEED HELP

I decided a 98 1.8T Quattro B5 would be a good addition...... thus far I am seriously impressed. Only problem is I don't know where to start improving because I dont know what I have. Read below for the whole story/Introductions.

I NEED HELP. I have a lot of respect for the P/O without meeting him because he was killed in active duty. I bought the car from his sister with the promise to keep improving the car. She knew nothing about the car or any modifications he may have done. My father works with this woman and I wanted to make sure this car got a good home and I was interested in expanding my horizons.

This is where I think I need help making sure the car becomes what this fallens soilder envisioned. So just reply back if you would like to help me determine the modifications I've got, what modifications I should do, and how to fix the little problems that seem to be everywhere.

Car description:
1998 A4 Quattro 1.8L turbo 5spd. 180xxx miles. Sun Damage on the paint. Interior is dirty and broken. driver side window is the only one that works. Sun roof looks crooked but doesn't leak I don't think. Upgraded sound system that was taken out and what is left is pitiful. Need tires, makes weird noises, gear linkage is sloppy and gear shift is broken and sticky. I think $1500 was fair and I love german projects. I feel like they are the most fun and impressive if done correctly but at a low cost.

Introduction to me:
I am studying Engineering and I work full-time as a Process engineer for a plate burning facility. I am self taught or forum taught when it comes to vehicles in general. I have more experience repairing than modifying but only on my vehicles or friends and families.

I daily drive a 93 BMW 318i. I have a 92 BMW 325i project. I have a 91 Dodge W150 work truck/ body project. I have an 81 Suzuki gs750 bobber project.

What is new with me for this car is.
1. I've never owned an audi.
2. I know nothing about forced induction.
3. I know nothing of AWD or quattro

Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

This may turn into a build thread? I am not sure how the responses will be.

I have some switches and wires and things I will post pictures of when I get the chance. I plan to tackle the windows and sound system first. I don't have a ton of time to work on the Audi but please reply and introduce yourselves if you would like to help me. I am looking forward to understanding this car with everyone's help.

Thank you,
Joe,

Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

I will say the first thing you need to do is buy the repair manual. I got one from ebay for about 15 dollars. and you can find must of the parts, sensors and interior trims you may need there as well. I just got my 00 a4 1.8t about 2 weeks ago, and i been trying to bring it back to life. I'm not an expert by any means, but i can try to help you as much as i can.

Will

Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Legal Moderator

sounds like you got a lot of work on your ahands and money flying out of your pocket. i agree with above,pick up a manual. and do a lot of internet research. if you have specific questions, ask

Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Welcome to AF! Kudos for taking on such a project, I hope you keep your promise to PO's sister. Just to throw some useful info out there to get you started, the engine code for the 1998 1.8T is AEB. You should find that stamped on the cylinder head underneath all the plastic engine covers. That's going to be important when buying parts like connecting rods and timing-related parts like water pumps and timing belt tensioners. Speaking of timing belts, if you don't have documentation regarding the last time the timing service was done, do that ASAP. AEB is a good motor, but presents a unique set of challenges for increasing displacement, should you ever decide to do so.

As mentioned above, the first thing you need to buy is a manual. I have one in PDF form that I would be happy to give you but unfortunately it isn't for your engine code. A copy of the Bentley manual or Chilton's would work just fine. They can be had on Amazon. I prefer paper copies of this kind of stuff because I like to take notes in them. My PDF version works in a pinch, though.

The second thing you should buy is some form of OBDII scanner. The best you can do is a fully unlocked copy of Vag-Com, but that will run you a few hundred bucks. A VAG-specific scanner like ECS Tuning's V-Checker is a good substitute for ~$100. I have both, I keep the v-checker in my glove box and vag-com on a small lap top for more involved jobs. You're eventually going to see a CEL if you don't have one already, and being able to quickly pull the codes and post them here will make your life (and ours ) a lot easier.

In order to determine what (if any) mods the car already has, we're going to need pictures. Take a picture of the entire engine bay, one of the turbo (down in between the engine and the airbox), pop the cover off of the ECU and take a picture of that. Judging by your description in the first post, it sounds like the car is pretty much stock. Sloppy shifter is common, as are broken window regulators.

Lastly, don't feel like you need to go out and buy a bunch of tools and fix everything at once. Pick one thing you want to fix and then research it. Find out what parts you need and where you can get the best parts for the least amount of money. Then find out what tools you need and where you can get the best tools for the least amount of money. You have an advantage that a lot of us don't have, in that you have other cars to drive if the A4 breaks. Take your time, learn as much as you can and enjoy the ride!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 AM
2nd Gear

To piggy back onto what CCA4 said about finding the best parts and tools for cheap: don't hesitate to ask the forum for advice!

Good luck buddy.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the advice thus far I'm sure I will have many more questions.

UPDATE:
I went onto RockAuto and picked up a Hayne's manual. I also purchased a trim piece I hope fits the rear drivers side door. There was no pictures so I will find out when it comes in, not a big deal it was only $12.00 with shipping included from some bmw parts I bought.

I don't think I will be able to work on my new Audi as much as I hoped when I got it. I found an engine for my project 325i this past weekend for 200 bucks. I've had the car for close to year and have yet to hear it run so I am pretty focused on that right now. I've already pulled the old motor and transmission this week so I am hoping to have it running in the next few weeks. Although the good news is once that is out of my garage I will have an open stall to work on the A4

Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

ADVICE:
1. How the hell can I hook up the rear speakers without using the stock amp. Also just general audio tips for these cars. I have come to find out that the audio in this care is a rats nest.

2. How can I test if the turbo is working? My gage is peaks at 5-6psi under acceleration. I dont ever hear or feel anything different while driving even when I push 4k rpm. When I had my toyta supra you could here that thing spool from a mile away. I have no idea if that is normal?

3. Is the 1.8ltr a noisy engine? My engine sounds pretty loud when idling and there is a weird almost graveley sound when accelerating that isn't too loud but if the window is down I can hear it. I don't hear a noticeable tick or anything indicating major eninge problems. The engine just sounds tired. It has me kinda worried.

4. I let my father drive my car around. He drives like the old man he is but when he lightly accelerated from a dead stop there is a pretty noticeable dip in the rear end. I was planning on doing a suspension overhaul once I worked out the little quirks that are annoying me and I verified the engine and trans have some life left in them but I am curious if this is normal or if I need to do some maintenance before continuing to drive it around.

5. This is the big one I am worried about. When shifting or taking off if I am quick off the clutch and kinda hard on the throttle there is a clunk and it almost feels like the motor rocks forward or the transmission shift forward. I was hoping someone had the same issue and it is just a motor or transmission mount. I have not had the car up on jacks yet to get a good look at the underside but from what I can see the underside looks really good for how bad the paint and interior are.

I appreciate any advice or knowledge you would like to share. Like I said I won't be doing anything crazy with the car yet and I am not driving it daily just around town whenever I can.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Joe_Figure
ADVICE:
1. How the hell can I hook up the rear speakers without using the stock amp. Also just general audio tips for these cars. I have come to find out that the audio in this care is a rats nest. I believe the radio is a low level output, meaning you need to use the amp, or another if you wish

2. How can I test if the turbo is working? My gage is peaks at 5-6psi under acceleration. I dont ever hear or feel anything different while driving even when I push 4k rpm. When I had my toyta supra you could here that thing spool from a mile away. I have no idea if that is normal? since you have an AEB engine, stock boost should be around 7psi. check for leaks

3. Is the 1.8ltr a noisy engine? My engine sounds pretty loud when idling and there is a weird almost graveley sound when accelerating that isn't too loud but if the window is down I can hear it. I don't hear a noticeable tick or anything indicating major eninge problems. The engine just sounds tired. It has me kinda worried. many possible cause, but a good place to start is the cam chain tensioner. its in the rear of the valve cover area

4. I let my father drive my car around. He drives like the old man he is but when he lightly accelerated from a dead stop there is a pretty noticeable dip in the rear end. I was planning on doing a suspension overhaul once I worked out the little quirks that are annoying me and I verified the engine and trans have some life left in them but I am curious if this is normal or if I need to do some maintenance before continuing to drive it around. check your springs. when i installed my coilovers, my rear springs were broke for who knows how long

5. This is the big one I am worried about. When shifting or taking off if I am quick off the clutch and kinda hard on the throttle there is a clunk and it almost feels like the motor rocks forward or the transmission shift forward. I was hoping someone had the same issue and it is just a motor or transmission mount. I have not had the car up on jacks yet to get a good look at the underside but from what I can see the underside looks really good for how bad the paint and interior are. i would look at all of the following: motor and tranny mounts, carrier assembly, and the differential mount (this being a the usual suspect)

I appreciate any advice or knowledge you would like to share. Like I said I won't be doing anything crazy with the car yet and I am not driving it daily just around town whenever I can.
hope that helps

Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Wow

So... Taking Redlin's advice I looked into the boost to see if I could find any leaks. The intercooler is an aftermarket something or other and The intercooler tubing looked to be steel with heat wrap all around.

I unwrapped some of the heat wrap and turns out the aftermarket intercooler piping is totally PVC pipe. Also found out the intercooler is only held up by zip-ties and the piping. I cant figure out if there is a leak. I am not sure how the gauge should act while I am keeping a constant speed.

Where can I find intercooler piping? How can I find out what aftermarket intercooler I have.

Quick Reply: New to Boosted/Audi, Introductions and I NEED HELP