B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

new to forum, a small mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear
Default new to forum, a small mystery

Hello all,

Just sold my TT and I purchased a 2001 Avant tiptronic with 72K miles on it. It was advertised as a 1.8T, with a replaced engine with 12k miles on it (sludge problem). The engine has a 100k mile warranty and the car has an extended warranty transfered to me with 28k miles left on it. I paid $10,500 for it, and I think I got a good deal? My "mystery" revolves around the fact that the sticker in the maintenance book lists the engine as a 2.8l 6 cylinder. The invoice for the engine replacement lists the 1.8T engine as the one that was replaced. The previous invoices for the car (before the engine replacement 12k miles ago) list it as a 1.8T. No mention in any invoice I have lists the engine as being a 2.8l. The car has no badging on the tailgate. Anyway I am happy with the car (and the warranties). I look forward to tuning the car, $ permitting.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:40 PM
3rd Gear

If you have chrome trim around the windows (at least on a sedan, not sure of the avants), then it was a 2.8 most likely. The other way to check is have a dealer check your vin. Why would they do a 2.8 -> 1.8T engine swap? Too much work, makes no sense....

Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear

No chrome trim. I traced the codes on the sticker in the spare tire well (and on the maintenance book) and it came back as a 2.8. I don't know what is involved in an engine swap.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
3rd Gear

to turn a 2.8 into a 1.8t requires new: engine obviously, ECU/software, entire wiring harness, various hoses, intake piping and intercooler, transmission, and other pits and pieces.

however this leaves out the fact that the 2.8 doesnt have a sludge problem like the 1.8t does. so the engine would not have needed to be changed for this reason. also the dealership would ALWAYS replace an engine with the same engine type. they would never replace a 2.8 with a 1.8t

Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 AM

Maybe I am missing something here, but everything you talk about is with the books, stickers, etc...please confirm and let us know WHICH motor is actually resides under the hood at this time...is it a six cylinder or the four-banger? Pretty easy to tell the difference, as one has two cylinder heads with a big silver V6 printed on the center plastic cover, while the other has one piece of plastic covering the motor with just a single 5V on it (that would be the 1.8T).

Who knows what paperwork, manuals etc. have been passed on...odds are you have a 2.8, and the 1.8T replacement in the advertisement was a mistake (my car was advertised as a TIP, when infact it is a manual)...then the question would be did they really replace the motor?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Maybe i was not clear. The engine currently is a new 1.8t , and yes I can tell how many cylinders are on an engine. The sticker in the wheel decodes it as a 2.8. I have all of the paper work, including the complete replacement of the motor.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear

This is no small mystery... this is Sherlock Holmes material. I don't see why they would have a 2.8 and swap a 1.8t unless they wanted to go custom. It all seems too odd.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

I would agree. I love the car, so I guess the point is moot. I guess someone did not like all of the badging on the tailgate either. I have to admit it looks a lot cleaner. BTW how does one post pics on this forum? It says i can't post attachments.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Agreed, something does not add up here. 2.8's don't sludge and a dealer would not normally replace to a whole different setup as with the 1.8T; would be a royal PITA and cost more than the car was worth. If somebody somewhere along the line made a switcheroo to the 1.8T, it definitely has not been documented. BTW does the car have a "salvage" title? Perhaps someone Frankensteined two cars into one.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

It has a clear title. The only thing I can think of is the factory put the wrong label in the spare tire area

Quick Reply: new to forum, a small mystery