B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Odd noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

i agree wiht everything u said cause my car is the same. so i decided ill just get use to it

Old 03-27-2010, 11:59 PM

Yeah, I just don't understand.

I'm assuming it was always there but I couldn't hear it over the rear wheel bearing...

On the other hand the new wheel bearing I put in isn't new, It was the one left in the A4 Sedan I pulled the upright/spindle from, I left the bearing/hub in it. It did have slight play.

However, everyone says it's coming from the front, and I say it's coming from the front. So this is just killing me, the front has zero play and everything seems Perfect, and I've put all 4 new tire/rims on the damn thing!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 AM

Just so you know, the bearing can be bad and still not have any play. One of my rears looked fine until I spun the wheel and put my hand on the upright - there was a vibration on the upright, which tells you the bearing is bad. It was loud as hell while driving too.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 AM

also if that used bearing has any play whatsoever, you definitely need to change it.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Yeah I know that bearing needs to be replaced. but for right now it's actually rather quiet. The front noise is taking priority since I've little money to take care of both

Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM

I want to revise the sound, after driving it for about an hour trying to figure it out.

It sounds asif a tire is rubbing on something, but its not. As it wouldnt start at 35 mph + if so, and also...

And I've also determined, it's not "pressure" sensitive, so..the turning right stopping the noise isn't due to the weight shift, because it can be a really really wide right turn with no real weight transfer, it seems more angle-based.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 PM

I have a very similar noise to what you are describing. At first I thought it may be a bearing but I only hear the noise when I turn the wheel even slightly to the left. It sounds like a rubbing noise. I'm looking into it this weekend. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 AM

I think my next step will be to get the car up on jack stands and hit 40 to see whats going on.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

redb5 you are correct, just because the bearing doesnt have play, doesnt mean its not bad, this is a common problem you guys are having, its really common on ford SUV's. the reason why you are hearing the noise when you turn a certain direction is because you are changing the load on the bearing, then when you turn the other direction, it is relieving pressure and it quiets down. the one thing about bearings is, you could drive it for months and not have problems, or you could drive it tomorrow and it will take a ****. someone also mentioned how they replaced one, and the other made noise.. chances are they were making noise at the same time you just didnt hear it.. they are a wear item, just like brakes, and most vehicle makers recommend bearing replacement like every 30-40k. my girlfriends a4 had the same problem, easy fix.. sunny day, case of beer, and a little elbow grease, lol

Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Already tried the whole bearing replacement thing, I have no press so it's not an option for me lol.

Yeah I know how the load on bearing works, heres the only reason I'm weary of it being a bearing.

I turn right, it goes away completely (Not just gets more quiet, but goes away..)

However, if I turn left, it does not get louder, it does not change.

Every bearing I've had fail, got a bit more quiet when i lifted that wheel, and Way more noisey when i put weight on it.

Idk!

Quick Reply: Odd noise...