B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ok guys im new

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear
Default ok guys im new

ok so i found a 96 2.8 A4 5speed in my towns paper it has 102,555 miles... i know its not a turbo i just needed a car i can drive to and from work.... it is over all a very clean car (owned by an older couple since 96) i was able to talk the man down from 1400 to 900.... it has a few problems tho....

1. the sunroof dose not work

2. the front right headlight has no mounting brackets on the top... looks like they are broken.. looks to be from a deer

3. it makes a turbo type whistling noise in all gears during hard acceleration.

no rips tears stains what so ever on the interior tho

so please guys help me out... i would really just like to know about the turbo type whistling noise it is making....

thanks guys

Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

bad fuel pump?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM

Is it loud whistling, kinda like a diesel engine?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Site Moderator

Probably a blown turbo, needs new vacuum lines and most likely vacuum check valves. Check the intake and exhaust for leaks because it has a lot of miles on it.

It got hit by a deer? In any case, you can buy a new assembly that comes with a bracket, get it checked out by a body guy to make sure there isn't any structural damage.

Lastly, telling me the sunroof doesn't work doesn't help us at all. I need to know if there is being power supplied to the sun roof motor.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

ok.. its not a turbo engine..... during acceleration it makes kind of like a drilling noise.. it does this even when not in gear and just revved.....

if it is a bad fuel pump wouldn't the car sputter and or idol weird??

the sunroof has power to it. when i click the open button it will move maybe a half of an inch and then stop. i havnt been able to find the way to manually open it yet either...

yeah just ordered a new front right headlight assembly... the older man who i bought the car from had just replaced the front right fender and front bumper.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
4th Gear

If you pop the end cap off the driver's side of the dashboard, there should be a long z-shaped allen key clipped onto the cap next to the fuse remover tool. Between the sunroof and the sunroof switch, there's a little square-ish cap that pops open. Open the cap, insert the allen crank, and turn it to open/close the sunroof.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Stuck to the inside of the fuse box cover (open the driver's side door and pop off the B shaped plastic thing) there will be a bent piece of metal that vaguely resembles an alan wrench. Thats actually the crank that you use to manually open/close the sunroof. To do that, pop open the little plastic door just to the rear of the sunroof switch

Name:  IMGP1511.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  78.6 KB

Like this.

Name:  IMGP1512.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  90.1 KB

Crank away to open/close the sunroof.

The sunroof motor is a common problem on our cars, you can buy replacements online and I even believe there is a DIY to fix yours w/o replacing it. try audidiy, there should be one there.

As for the noise, a sound byte would help?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

my sunroof open button is just a small little rectangle there is no little opening behind it. and when i take the button out there is nowhere to insert the tool....

yeah im trying to get something on line so you can hear what it sounds like. there are a few holes in the air box would that have anything to do with the noise?

thanks for the help guys

Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Huh. Mine is a '97 so i figured it'd have the same set up you do but clearly i was wrong.... Sorry about that man. I dunno what to tell ya

Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

its all good man ima try to find that out hah

Quick Reply: ok guys im new