B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ok, so.. power steering suction hose? 2.8 12v

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Default ok, so.. power steering suction hose? 2.8 12v

the hose that connects from the pump to the reservoir, the one that goes under the valve cover between that and the timing belt housing, and goes from rubber to metal back to rubber, is leaking all over. the metal fitting is leaking where it bolts under the timing belt stuff, the part that the clamp connects on the other side from metal back to rubber is leaking, and both rubber ends are leaking also. this whole design just kinda sucks.

what i want to do is just run a rubber hose from the reservoir straight to the pump and avoid any connection points in between. the problem is, i don't know what size hose to use, and am unsure of why it goes from rubber, to metal, to rubber again. does the metal portion of the hose do anything special? is there a reason for it? other than charging 200 dollars, for a HOSE. blah. anyone else have this problem? anyone fix it? anyone wanna shoot me?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Certified

One thing you would have to do is make sure the hose is compatible with chf11s fluid. If the wrong type of hose is used it will deteriorate & make a mess of the steering system.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

i have to flush the fluid once i do this because i ran out of fluid in nyc and had to buy whatever they had at a gas station, which was some noname whatever the hell it is. the reservoir says something about mineral oil in german i think. i went to pepboys and they had random hoses, but i don't know what size i need and don't want to take the thing apart and drain all the fluid in their parking lot if i can avoid it. plus, they don't sell anything that looks like the real fluid that i need for my pump.

so basically, i need to know what the metal part in the middle of the 2 rubber hoses does, if anything, and if i can just replace it with rubber, that is compatible with the fluid that i don't know where to buy? yeah, i guess that's it lol

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Certified

The fluid is chf11s only!
The metal pipe is just that , a metal pipe. You really should replaced the hose with what should be there or you will look forward to replacing the steering rack & pump also when the hose starts to deteriorate internally.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

but the metal also has rubber, so if it were to deteriorate it will regardless, no? i don't know if 3" of metal on a 2' long rubber hose would make that much of a difference. it just seems like a really odd design.

what brand fluid should i use? where can i get it lol.. i'm gonna empty the system and throw some new stuff in so i want to get the right stuff.

also, does anyone know how i can find the diameter of the rubber of the hose that's used before i tear it apart cause i only have one car so i don't want to disassemble it and have to put fluid in just to remove again to go buy the hose.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

alright, so i'm going to flush the ps tomorrow and go to audi and get some chf11 fluid... about the hose though, anyone else replace it with a straight line instead of using the 200 dollar rubber/metal thing? i need to know how big the hose is to get a replacement.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Certified

You have to remember , the hose that is attached to that metal pipe is designed to be used with the chf11s , other hose is not.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

I replaced mine about six months ago using 5/8" fuel line that I got from a commercial truck repair shop and a brass insert fitting up by the pump. No problems with the chf11s and the rack/pump has been behaving better than it has in a long time....I just couldn't justify paying the 2-3 hundred dollars that the stealership wanted to charge me. Don't forget to replace the crappy one time use clamps with better stainless steel ones

By the way, Advanced Auto Parts carries the CHF11s; atleast the one by me does...

Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear

I'm having a similar issue, let us know how it ends up working out for you so I can profit from your experience

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

lol going to carquest right now.. i'll let you know later.

Quick Reply: ok, so.. power steering suction hose? 2.8 12v