B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

okay to jack car from rear diff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM
1st Gear
Default okay to jack car from rear diff?

i bought a long frame jack that provides almost 3 ft of lift, but the saddle is about 6" wide so i'm not sure where to lift the car from. i was thinking of using the rear differential so i could lift the entire rear in one shot rather than doing one side at a time. any thoughts on that idea?

what about for the front of the car? i havent looked up front for a spot yet, but im sure im not the only one with a huge *** jack...

thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
5th Gear

it's fine to lift the rear end up by the diff. use the huge black beam(subframe) under the car to lift the front end.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 AM
3rd Gear

I agree with Hiwords, but I'd recommend a block of wood or hockey pucks on the saddle.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
4th Gear

^^word up

Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Slut

you are going to use jackstands on either side once its up yea? High lift jacks are nice, but unfortunately i cant fit any jack other than the stocker under my car, as its so low... its a pita process using the crappy stocker to get the car high enough for me to get a floor jack under the pinch welds... and then taking it down is the same process, but in reverse order...
My question is, why not take the extra 3 minutes to jack up each side instead of risking damaging anything??? just a thought...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

FasterA4ThanUrs, I learned a tip at a shop that I helped out at. For low cars, you can't really get around the hassle of jacking it up at each corner but when you lower it, put some small blocks of wood directly underneath the tires. Now when you lower it, you can lower both wheels at the same time. That way when the jack has dropped all the way down, you can still pull the jack out from underneath since the car is higher now and then drive the car off the wood (as long as you don't use a railroad tie). Doesn't solve 100% of your problem but 50% isn't bad.

Last edited by xqwizit; 03-16-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by xqwizit
FasterA4ThanUrs, I learned a tip at a shop that I helped out at. For low cars, you can't really get around the hassle of jacking it up at each corner but when you lower it, put some small blocks of wood directly underneath the tires. Now when you lower it, you can lower both wheels at the same time. That way when the jack has dropped all the way down, you can still pull the jack out from underneath since the car is higher now and then drive the car off the wood (as long as you don't use a railroad tie). Doesn't solve 100% of your problem but 50% isn't bad.
Ramps...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by xqwizit
well if the car isnt driveable, which mine often isnt, it just becomes a pain, i dont mind the process, ive gotten used to it by now.
Originally Posted by Tweaked
Ramps...
yea if your not plannin on takin the wheel(s) off

plus my driveups, like most others, dont fit under my car... my car is slammed btw

Last edited by FASTER; 03-18-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

didnt realize there were so many replies. thanks for all the input

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
you are going to use jackstands on either side once its up yea?
of course, i dont have a death wish lol. they arent quite tall enough to take advantage of the full lift of the jack, but still allow for a 24" lift

My question is, why not take the extra 3 minutes to jack up each side instead of risking damaging anything??? just a thought...
its not about the extra time, with my old jack i did it that way. theres something about lifting one corner of the car 24+" while the other 3 are at ride height that just seems wrong to me. seems like theres more risk of damaging something if i do it that way.

i could keep going from one side to the other, jacking little by little until its all the way up... but thats really annoying since the jack weighs about 160lbs and is kind of hard to maneuver. not to mention the factory jack points are very small compared to the saddle, so i would still need to use a block of wood or something as Tweaked suggested.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
yea if your not plannin on takin the wheel(s) off

plus my driveups, like most others, dont fit under my car... my car is slammed btw
If you use low ramps, you can get a jack under the car and put it up. It will give just enough clearance to get a low profile jack under there. Mine is lowered with just Eibach Pros and a Craftsman Aluminum low-profile fits under the jack point, but not to the subframe. A small ramp will get it high enough to get the jack to the subframe.

Something like this: You could probably make them out of wood.