B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Open down pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Open down pipe question

so am going to a local track with some friends on Friday and my question would be , if i cant get a test pipe by that day can i just run open down pipe? or well the cat still be a major pain in my *** and restrict flow ? one of my friends wants to race me so bad and claims to own the world on his stock 05 2.0 wrx so i need things to be at there best in my car.

i have pc16 file with fmic , cai but just no exhaust upgrade its still stock other than no muffler no resonator . i know am lame but yea any input ? i know ill save the weight of the exhaust been remove after the down pipe .

thanks in advance

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Even if you ran an open downpipe, the catalytic converter is still going to be a restriction. If you're suggesting removing the cat and running with an open exhaust housing, that's just stupid. I don't understand the statement "no exhaust upgrade its still stock other than no muffler no resonator". Should I take that to mean you have a straight pipe exhaust from the cat back?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

o yea i forgot to ask and if i do find a test pipe i know am going to get a check engine light from the second 02 sensor , i already got that spacer thing on the way but if it does not make it here would that cel impact my performance make me slow in any way? or can i drive with it no problem.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Even if you ran an open downpipe, the catalytic converter is still going to be a restriction. If you're suggesting removing the cat and running with an open exhaust housing, that's just stupid. I don't understand the statement "no exhaust upgrade its still stock other than no muffler no resonator". Should I take that to mean you have a straight pipe exhaust from the cat back?
lol ahah no no i cant remove the cat then my 02 sensor would go crazy . dam i knew that catalytic would be a pain in the ***, ok am on a mission to find a test pipe then.

and by no muffler no resonator i mean yea its just a straight pipe from the cat all the way back to the rear bumper stock size that is.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Got it. Your O2 sensor is going to go crazy anyway with a test pipe, unless you pick one up with a spacer for the rear sensor.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Got it. Your O2 sensor is going to go crazy anyway with a test pipe, unless you pick one up with a spacer for the rear sensor.
o i was referring to both sensors if i remove the cat as in i run with no cat no down pipe lol like you said it would be stupid , but i was never planing on doing it so if i get a check engine light from the 2nd o2 sensor can i still run good?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

My check engine light is on all the time bc I run catless as well...no harm to performance at all, it's just annoying to see it on the dash all the time...need to get em blocked out soon but I've been lazy

Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Administrator

As long as the primary O2 sensor is there to read AFR, you should be good. The second O2 sensor's sole purpose is to measure the efficiency of the cat.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

He's going to beat you.

AdBlockPlus FTW - I don't have to see that stupid sig picture anymore.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by meh.
He's going to beat you.

AdBlockPlus FTW - I don't have to see that stupid sig picture anymore.
Thanks for telling us. I don't have to see it any more too!!!

Doug

Quick Reply: Open down pipe question