B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oversprayed My Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Oversprayed My Car

Alright so I am a painting contractor and recently I was painting a commercial building, I STUPIDLY parked my car on the opposite side of the building we were doing. It was pretty windy and the next day I realized that the spray had wrapped around the building, carried the 200 ft onto my car. Its not bad, unless your RIGHT up to the car you cant notice it. But it obviously bothers me. Its too late to wash it off I have tried but I really want to get rid of it. If I lightly scratch it with my finger it comes off no problem without scratching the paint but there are WAY to many to do it by hand. Anyone had this problem or know of a solution? Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 AM
1st Gear

I want to know how many other cars you covered in your paint

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

I heard that clay baring works

Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Administrator

My old boss did the same thing to his boat, but boats have gel coat so i got away with using acetone. I'm almost positive that (depending on what kind of paint the overspray is) mineral spirits will take it off w/o hurting the car's paint. Then the only issue would be getting the greasy residue off, which i would think a couple runs through a commercial car wash would take care of.

My other suggestion would be WD-40. I use that to get road tar off my fenders. Doing a whole car with that might not be a good idea though...

Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

what kind of paint did you use? Was it oil-based or a straight up outside latex paint? If it's oil-based, then paint thinner (mineral spirits) will DEFINETLY take care of it and not hurt your paint although, like said above, I would wash the car afterwards as well as give it a good wax. If it's latex, then Oops! or a latex paint remover product alike would do it, BUT I'm not completely sure how it would affect your car's paint...I would check in an inconspicuous area first.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

Can't you just have it buffed out?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM
4th Gear

Buff with clear coat polishing compound, the white stuff, by hand.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by CCA4
My old boss did the same thing to his boat, but boats have gel coat so i got away with using acetone. I'm almost positive that (depending on what kind of paint the overspray is) mineral spirits will take it off w/o hurting the car's paint. Then the only issue would be getting the greasy residue off, which i would think a couple runs through a commercial car wash would take care of.

My other suggestion would be WD-40. I use that to get road tar off my fenders. Doing a whole car with that might not be a good idea though...
No mineral spirits. It's bad for the paint. I would get buffing compound and buff it off. If it's on the windows you can use laquer thinner or even very fine steel wool and rub very lightly, but I would suggest thinner.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

goo gone?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:48 AM

hahah yeah that kinda happened to me. i went paintballin with some friends and i gues i didnt park my car far enought and got some spray on it (at least this stuff never really dries tho) it was on the passenger side so i didnt notice till a couple days later and like you said it didnt come off when i washed it but i can easily rub it off with my finger. its just too many lol. i'll try buffing comp and WD40...

Quick Reply: Oversprayed My Car